If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

MNR second annual gala.

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by Gav106, Jun 1, 2012.

1. Gav106

Gav106 Well-Known Member

From what I read there are two confirmed locos, mayflower and the usual pannier. Plus another unknown loco for the event. Does anyone on here know any more?

Gavin.

2. Gav106

Gav106 Well-Known Member

3. 5944

5944 Resident of Nat Pres

Train Maintainer for GTR at Hornsey
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    According to MNR website, 78019 arrived today for 2 weeks as replacement for 9466, which is off to Wales next weekend and NNR on the RTC railtour the following Saturday. Both 9466 and 78019 booked to run on MNR on Sunday 24th June.

4. s1m0nad

s1m0nad New Member

I've just checked the MNR website and this now shows that in addition to 9466 and Mayflower, the N2 1744 is also booked to attend (2012 Annual Steam Gala) for the gala on 13th to 15th July. 78019's last day on the MNR is tomorrow as noted above.

5. pete12000

pete12000 Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
    Isn't 78019 staying to run the purple, two steam loco, timetable that starts next weekend 30th June ?

6. isport

isport New Member

78019 due to return to GCR. Doesn't look like 2 steam timetable this weekend. MNR website says there could be a 4th visiting loco for gala. Looking forward to seeing Mayflower and N2 together.

7. isport

isport New Member

MNR website now says Mayflower is down for a days driver experience during its stay.

8. s1m0nad

s1m0nad New Member

Timetables for this weekend's gala now on the MNR website at 2012 Annual Steam Gala - with Mayflower and the N2 doing the honours. The MNR facebook page notes that 9466 left the railway yesterday to go to the South Devon Railway for repairs Mid-Norfolk Railway | Facebook

9. isport

isport New Member

Provisional times for 1306 to arrive at MNR.

31601 to Norfolk...
    31601 is down to haul 'B1' steam loco No. 1306 'Mayflower' from Washwood Heath to Dereham (Mid Norfolk Railway) tomorrow morning. Timings are as follows:

0Z45
    Washwood Heath 1100, Water Orton 1122, Nuneaton 1141, Leicester 1208, Melton Mowbray Up Loop 1231-1244, Oakham 1300, Peterborough 1350-1352, Ely 1434-1531, Thetford 1608, Wymondham 1642-1646, Dereham (Mid Norfolk Railway) 1729.

10. mike1522

mike1522 Long Time Member Friend

Did anyone go to this event today? Nothing has been posted, that is all.

11. glenng

glenng New Member

For me with only two engines it’s not worth the petrol to photograph B1 1306 "Mayflower" I’ll get some photos of her somewhere else.

12. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

Distance rules me out too unless in exceptional circumstances im afraid, Nene Valley being about the limit for a comfortable day trip in that direction, Eastwards from Brum is far from the quickest route either.

13. kieranhardy

kieranhardy Well-Known Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
    Although i wasn't going to go anyway i did think it was odd to still call it a gala with just two locomotives on 8 round trips. Couldn't they have got a diesel or two out and re-class it as a mixed traffic gala so the steam could do mixed duties?

I also notice at times there were only 7 coaches (2 being the DMU) which again doesn't seem as if they expected a lot of people? The website seemed to lack up to date info aswell. Obviously the lack of 9466 didn't help but £25 for 2 locomotives on 8 round trips when it would cost £10 for 5 round trips with the same amount of locos on one of their normal steam days seems a bit extreme. It's only £10.50 for the NNR's red timetable with 2 steam locomotives on 9 round trips with the addition of 2 round trips with a diesel and in this day and age, getting value for money is the goal for a lot of people.

14. isport

isport New Member

Have to agree calling it a gala is a bit over the top. An event, maybe, as far as the MNR are concerned. Most other steam railways have 2 locos or more out most weekends, even midweek!
    There did seem to be a fair few people about and riding on the trains but I am not sure many of them will have paid the rover ticket price.
    £25.00 is steep but I suppose if you want to travel all day, you could get some miles in! Personal choice.
    With the amount of coaches they have, it might get to the point the railway would have to turn people away if they charged any less and more people came. As I said, most trains were pretty full at these prices.

The timetable did seem rather boring. Maybe the odd goods and more double heading would have spiced things up a bit, but as you say the lack of 9466 didn't help and the signalling doesn't give much scope for additional trains.

Early days for the MNR to get things better. Value for money, not so sure.

By the way Mayflower looked awesome. Neil Boden should be proud. Lets hope mainline trips will be soon.

15. glenng

glenng New Member

Early days for the MNR to get things better. Value for money, not so sure.

Sorry but it’s not early days for the MNR as they can do a very good diesal gala but if they have got a diesel or two out and re-class it as a mixed traffic gala so the steam could do mixed duties.

16. isport

isport New Member

Don't need to apologise ,but it was advertised as a "STEAM GALA".

Maybe I should have emphasised early days regarding steam? You are correct. They do a very good diesel gala.

I think recently they had an advertised 60's weekend which included steam and diesel. "Mixed traffic maybe"?