If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

MK1's coaches vs other stock

Discussion in 'Heritage Rolling Stock' started by paulhitch, Jul 26, 2017.

1. paulhitch

paulhitch Guest

I half agree with you. It's the Mark 1 sameyness of yer av'rage tourist railway that concerns me.

PH

2. flying scotsman123

flying scotsman123 Resident of Nat Pres

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    "Concerns you"? Why is it of concern? And how would you suggest addressing this concern for railways like GWSR, WSR etc.? I can well understand enthusiasts not being that bothered about them, but as we've been told, they only make up a small proportion of passengers. What ought to be of concern is the cleanliness and number of carriages, not what carriages they are, the former is far more important than the latter to most normal people I'm sure you'd agree.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

3. Sawdust

Sawdust Member

That can only improve though as more chicken sheds get restored, meanwhile more Mark 1's approach the rust event horizon, followed swiftly by their Mark 2 brethren.

Sawdust.

andrewshimmin, 2392 and paulhitch like this.
  4. Pete Thornhill

Pete Thornhill Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Administrator Moderator Friend

I'm sure that you could find some coaches in somewhere like Poland, Ok they wouldn't have any historical connection but as long as one isn't an RMB you'll be alright :D

5. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    Quite so. I get the feeling that at times Paul tends to see things through the eyes of the enthusiast he undoubtedly is but as many of us on here have said, the general public have different requirements.

60017 and Pete Thornhill like this.
  6. 30854

30854 Resident of Nat Pres

Retired
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Indeed. It's a fairly safe bet that PMV/GUV vehicles will be increasingly thinner on the ground than they are today.

Yer actual wooden bodied compo stock is undoubtedly great for ambience, and highly suitable for shorter runs, but I wonder where a balancing point will be struck between this lovely old kit and the experience of (for example) the FR/WHR indicating a customer preference for their newer stock. As I understand it, bug boxes to Blaenau and Compos to Caernarfon are nearly always the preserve of enthusiasts i.e. a small minority of requisite bums on seats.

michaelh likes this.
  7. paulhitch

paulhitch Guest

I was merely agreeing with the comments of @Sawdust that if every train on every railway they saw last week...... they might not visit as often. Alas they tend to be fairly homogenous and as not every line runs through an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty it is of some importance.

PH

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2017
  8. paulhitch

paulhitch Guest

Loading gauge problems make this generally impractical although I think the Nene Valley have a few.

PH

9. Pete Thornhill

Pete Thornhill Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Administrator Moderator Friend

I was only joking although now you mention it I'd be happy to hear your thoughts on the Nene Valley. IIRC they found the foreign stock wasn't as well liked as MK1's so built the fleet up by popular demand. How does this fit?

And although I posted that comment with my tongue in my cheek, Alex did ask a genuine question, if there are too many MK1's what realistic suggestions do you have for railways to remedy this?

Johnme101 likes this.
  10. paulhitch

paulhitch Guest

Who knows? I suspect that a lot of Mk. 1 vehicles are having their lavatory floors inspected at this present moment! Things are going to get expensive whatever happens.

PH

David R likes this.
  11. flying scotsman123

From where I am I don't see how continually repairing Mk1s replacing more and more bits of metal gradually is going to be more expensive than restoring wooden wrecks. It certainly won't be quicker and that is also an issue - if you've got lovely stock but it's in the workshop all the time that's not much use.

michaelh and Johnme101 like this.
  12. paulhitch

paulhitch Guest

Er. I did say "expensive whatever happens."

PH

13. Bill Drewett

Bill Drewett Member

It's really very simple:

• For steam locomotives, what matters is efficiency. Variety and interest count for little. Unnamed experts know this to be fact.
    • For carriages, what matters is variety. If this costs more, it'll be worth it.

Some might think this is inconsistent, but they're wrong. Do try to keep up!

michaelh, 2392, Johnme101 and 3 others like this.
  14. flying scotsman123

You've summed it up marvelously! :D

15. flying scotsman123

Ok, so you think difference in cost and time restoring a Mk1 and an older wooden coach is marginal?

Johnme101 likes this.
  16. Cartman

Cartman Well-Known Member

Van driver
    The thing is with the use of Mark 1 coaches, for a lot of railways, nothing else was available at the time they started. Only a few railways got going in time to grab any pre nationalisation coaches, SVR, Bluebell, Keighley etc. Pre nationalisation coaches disappeared fairly quickly in the late 60s, less need for coaches then, due to service reductions caused by the Beeching cuts and the introduction of DMUs, so BR had a surplus. Logically, they got rid of their oldest ones first. Any which survived into the 70s were ones adapted to departmental use which would need a lot of work, whereas a Mark 1 was pretty much ready to go

A well restored and presented Mark 1, I think is a nice vehicle and they are sufficiently different from plasticky modern trains to be interesting to the general public. The early Mark 2s are also getting to this status too

Kje7812, michaelh, Johnme101 and 3 others like this.
  17. 30854

30854 Resident of Nat Pres

Retired
    Cartman's post (#134) put me in mind of photos of all that pre-grouping Isle of Wight stock being broken up at St.Helens and Newport in the 50s and 60s. The greatest pity, to my mind, was the loss of ex-LBSC 6986, which survived as DS70008, considered beyond repair when it succumbed as late as 1969. It makes you realise just how far restoration skills have developed in the interim.

gwalkeriow and paulhitch like this.
  18. paulhitch

paulhitch Guest

Again, where did I say that? All I would say is that with the preponderance of Mk. 1 stuff the potential total cost of keeping it all operational is enormous. The end result would be a fleet of restored vehicles which would be, well, "samey".

PH

19. flying scotsman123

When you talk about the "enormous" cost of keeping Mk1s you imply other options would be cheaper?

Keeping a variety of carriages is going to be more expensive anyway, purely because you need a selection of different spares - a whole fleet of Mk1s only needs one set of spares, and we can swap bogies and other things round to our heart's content, with a variety things become less flexible and more expensive as a result.

Johnme101 likes this.
  20. paulhitch

paulhitch Guest

Actually, what seems to be intended as sarcasm is not so far from the real position. For "normals" looking for half a days entertainment, the carriage, more particularly its inside, is rather more important than the locomotive although they may well have a passing interest in the latter

PH

johnofwessex likes this.