If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Middleton Wagons 09

Discussion in 'Heritage Rolling Stock' started by ahardy, Feb 23, 2009.

1. ahardy

ahardy Member

Hi guys.

Just for thoose of you that are interested. The Middleton Railway in Leeds is progressing on some more wagons and also some work on one our coaches.

Firstly, the open body LNER steel wagon has had a new door made ready to be fitted. Most of the wagon has been cleaned down and primed and I hope to complete the rest of that this weekend. The vaccum gear was also fitted and tried last weekend.

Our wooden LMS boxvan is progressing when time allows.

Also our brake passenger coach is having a repaint and a few jobs done.

Will take some photos at the weekend if the weather stays nice.

Andy

2. hunslet24

hunslet24 New Member

Propulsion/Airframe tech in the RAF
    Good stuff, liked the coaches when I visited last year(haloween I think) keep up the good work mate \:D/

3. ahardy

ahardy Member

A few photos of the LNER common user wagon. These were taken a few weeks ago. Since then the vaccum cylinder has been fitted along with a new door for the opposite side being made. Im hoping (weather permitting) to get this finished off over the next few weeks ( I have a week off uni next week that looks perfect for some wagon bashing) although I had hoped to fit the door today. Other than that its mainly just painting and some lettering

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Andy

4. ahardy

ahardy Member

For anyone interested this is the state of some of the wagons that were completed last year:

[​IMG]
    Photo by Tim Veacock

I hope the LNER common user can be added to this shortly, along with another flatbed in the future.

Andy

5. Avonside1563

Avonside1563 Well-Known Member

Bolton's Sidings, just behind the running shed!
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Great stuff, nice to see some TLC on generally ignored items. We need a resurgence on the wagons at Foxfield, the Windbreakers are starting to show serious signs of deterioration! New volunteers always welcomed!

6. yorksireenginegroup

yorksireenginegroup Well-Known Member

MECHANIC
    the hoppers are in a bad way . and whats with the vac brakes

7. ahardy

ahardy Member

A bit more progress. The new door has now been fitted and the sides of the wagon stightened slightly to allow a better fit. Most of the remainder has been cleaned and recieved a coat of primer. I think there is only one wheel face and the interior sides left to do. Hopefully this week will see some more progress.

Andy

8. ahardy

ahardy Member

A little more news:

The steel open wagon has had some undercoat applied to the body. The photo below shows the state of play yesterday, although today we managed to complete the body in undercoat. The wagon has also been emptied of the bits from the Y7 and has been cleaned out and the inside rubbed down. It is now inside until the weekend alowing some work to be done over the next two days without relying on the weather.

[​IMG]

Andy

ps. im trying to resist the urge to signwrite "Have a break, Have a Kit Kat" on the side!

9. batemanan

batemanan New Member

Consultant Engineer
    Sterling work by Mr Hardy on this one!

Well done boss, our waggons are starting to look first rate.

Lets get going on the next one!

10. Hunslets Finest

Hunslets Finest Well-Known Member

Looking great well done. Look forward to seeing them out at a gala. Do have any minerals?

11. batemanan

batemanan New Member

Consultant Engineer
    We've got one 16t mineral waggon, its in good nick so not on our list for repainting yet!

12. Avonside1563

Avonside1563 Well-Known Member

Bolton's Sidings, just behind the running shed!
    I presume you're talking about the hoppers at Foxield? If you are..... Well volunteered that man =D>

But I have to say who needs vacuum brakes? Much safer to pin em and drag them down the bank. If you over egg it with Vac and they lock up and slide at the top of the 1 in 25 they'll be away before you can blow the brakes off again with the little ejectors on our locos, it could get very interesting! [-o< Vacuum brakes on wagons...? Give me unfitted and pinned brakes every time \:D/

13. Sidmouth

Sidmouth Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Moderator

Nigel

How are those hoppers and 16t wagons , having invested so much in them it would be nice to have a quick update

many thanks

14. ahardy

ahardy Member

Well the 13T wagon is complete now after the final lettering and work had been completed:
    [​IMG]

It was also posed in our freight set to give us a taste of what it looks like before we get a chance to take them out later in the year:
    http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v285/ ... CF0096.jpg

[​IMG]

Andy

15. Drewry Car

Drewry Car Member

Excellent work! Looks superb - all we need now is a Leeds built green BR diesel to go with them - three months and counting...

16. Bestieboy

Bestieboy Member

Nice Pic. I like the Dogfish in that colour scheme.
    Do you know the I/d of the Palvan & what the 4w flat was originally? Also is B490310 it's real I/d or ficticious.
    Cheers
    Steve

17. ahardy

ahardy Member

I believe the flatbed was originaly a Leporte (sp?) acid tank wagon. I found some wagon plates recently and think they said number 88 on them. Will see what I can find out. I also have a feeling that the Palvan number is the next in the series if more were built as we dont know the identity of the van. Its an ex army one and had no visible markings as far as I remember.

18. Bestieboy

Bestieboy Member

Do you know where/when you got the Palvan from, I may be able to find something about it?
    From the photo it looks like a left hand door van which should be design 1/211. There were many batches of these but all but one continued the number series as conventional 12t vans. The only gap is from 779051-779550 so one of these would be ideal. Also bear in mind that some palvans of the same design were built by Standard Wagon for the MOD, and numbered such, and were never of BR origin.
    Cheers
    Steve

19. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    The Palvan came to us from the Northants Ironstone Trust site at Hunsbury Hill, ex MOD. We have been unable to ascertain its number and that one was chosen as supposedly correct for one of these wagons. If you can give better information, we'll gladly alter it! The flat wagon is, as Andy said, a frame from a Laporte Sulphuric acid tank wagon with a simple flat bed fitted. It may have been 88 in their fleet. We certainly have plates for this one. We had four of them, three of which had the tanks removed and scrapped. The fourth one, on a timber frame, was eventualy dismantled when the frame gave out and the tank is presently used as a water tank. This was all back in the 1960's and the records don't show which frame came from which.

20. Bestieboy

Bestieboy Member

Hi Steve
    Did you acquire this after 6/7/2008 and was it in a light green livery?