If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Mid Norfolk Railway update

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by s1m0nad, Mar 19, 2013.

1. s1m0nad

s1m0nad New Member

Like many railways, the Mid Norfolk has a number of projects being undertaken over the winter - thought an update on these might be of interest.

Wymondham platform re-decking.
    The MNR station at Wymondham Abbey was constructed in 1998 to facilitate the reopening of the line (May 1999), as it wasn't possible to get to the main Wymondham station without travelling on the mainline. This 'temporary' platform was built using scaffolding and timber decking, and this winter saw the replacement of the decking - short video showing what was done is on youtube - Wymondham Abbey Halt platform resurfacing - YouTube

Wymondham mainline connection re-signalling.
    This is a Network Rail project, but impacts on the MNR as the original semaphore signal protecting the mainline (W37) is on MNR property approximately 1/4 mile from the actual MNR/Network Rail boundary. This section of line was rarely used by MNR trains (on a few special occasions permission was given to pass W37 and allowed to travel the boundary - 2012-04-28_15-28-02MNR | Flickr - Photo Sharing!).
    The Ely - Norwich re-signalling project saw semaphore signals and associated signal boxes replaced over the weekend 1st/2nd December. The new signal (EN8221) is much closer to the mainline - http://www.flickr.com/photos/pwayowen/8301610056/ - but this actually creates an opportunity to build a station much closer to the actual junction (sometime in the future!).

Dereham bay point replacement
    This was point was originally installed in 1997 when the track was relaid into Dereham station. This has been replaced with a longer point in a slightly different place - Dereham Bay Point 10/3/13 | Flickr - Photo Sharing! and Dereham Bay point 17/3/13 | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (photo's from the railway's P Way Engineer, Owen Stratford). More jacking and packing is required before the line is usable.

2. Corbs

Corbs Well-Known Member

3. cct man

cct man Part of the furniture

CONSTRUCTION
    I agree with you Corbs, a fine update with much to see and tell.

Well done
    Chris:

4. nigelss

nigelss Member

Thanks for the update, but what of the extension to Hoe? Is/has anything (been) happening on that front?

5. s1m0nad

s1m0nad New Member

Steady progress has been on the extension to Hoe and now reached the point where a visiting charter (UKRailtours.com: THE SILVER LINING) is booked to travel to Hoe on 18 May. I'm not sure what MNR services will run before this date.

Update - the latest edition of 'Blastpipe' (the MNR magazine) notes that there will be a MNR train to Hoe before 18 May for all those who have sponsored replacement sleepers (date not yet confirmed).

6. s1m0nad

s1m0nad New Member

7. M59137

M59137 Well-Known Member

Carriage & Wagon
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Is there any other way, beyond rostoring 5 crossing keepers, that the line will operate when it opens for regular services out of interest?

8. s1m0nad

s1m0nad New Member

of the five level crossings in Dereham the southern most two, Yaxham Road and Greens Road, are automatic ungated and therefore don't need a crossing keeper (although they are subject to a 5mph speed limit). This leaves Norwich Road (immediately to the north of the main Dereham platform), Neatherd Road and Swanton Road, that are gated and will need crossing keepers - in fact the first two are so close I'm sure that they will both need to be closed to road traffic before a train departs from Dereham (although I'm not an expert on these matters!)

9. jnc

jnc Well-Known Member

No I do not currently volunteer
    Indeed! The lengthy captions are very welcome, thanks for taking the time to write them. For those of us who aren't local, it reallyl helps when it comes to understanding what we're looking at!

Noel

10. M59137

M59137 Well-Known Member

Carriage & Wagon
    Thanks for the information about the crossings, the gates look really nice!

11. kesr

kesr Member

Owner
    In full agreement with the others. Progress updates are always great in my opinion and to see it all through shared footage and or photos is a wonderful thing. Keep up the good work with it all

12. s1m0nad

s1m0nad New Member

Thanks for all the comments - I enjoy reading about other railway's activities and, as an occasional volunteer and MNR supporter, hope to provide something similar for the MNR. Of course the real thanks is to those volunteers who turn up every week to complete all these projects!

13. kesr

kesr Member

Owner
    I am a strong believer that nothing is capable without the elp and enthusiasm of those whom are interested. I have nothing against what is known as arm chair memberes but I think the best members are those who will get there hands dirty and get involved.

14. s1m0nad

s1m0nad New Member

The MNR's northern section p-way gang have been busy today finishing the last few items ready for next week's visiting rail tour (http://www.ukrailtours.com/tourshow..._trains&tourfile=130518_THE_SILVER_LINING.txt) including placing the stop board at bridge 1701 (see map at http://www.mnr.org.uk/about/routemap/northallgreen/). This meant that it was possible this evening to run the first passenger train north of Dereham since November 1987, with a 18:00 departure for those who had helped make the reopening possible by sponsoring sleepers, along with volunteers involved - https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...248109.-2207520000.1368397708.&type=3&theater.
    Services over the extension will be limited to special occasions until the line is completed to North Elmham (some time in the future!)

15. M59137

M59137 Well-Known Member

Carriage & Wagon
    Well done to all involved. Is the limiting services a choice of the railway or a necessity? (as the Facebook picture mentions 200 sleepers still requiring replacement).

Will the northern section now be launched in one go to North Elmham as I believed the plan was to open to a halt at Hoe first?

16. s1m0nad

s1m0nad New Member

The main factor limiting services northwards to Hoe is the lack of operational signalling at Dereham. The line is currently operated as two principle sections - Wymondham to Thuxton and Thuxton to Dereham. If trains travel to Hoe, the train on the southern section has to wait a long time at Wymondham because of the need to cross at Thuxton.

I know that the idea of a station at Hoe has been proposed, but personally I don't think it is great idea. Hoe is just a hamlet and has nothing to offer, whereas North Elmham at least has pubs, cafe and the site of an Saxon cathedral - things that give passengers something to do.

17. M59137

M59137 Well-Known Member

Carriage & Wagon
    Thanks for the extra information. Station or no station, the restoration of that amount of track is something for those involved to be proud of.

18. s1m0nad

s1m0nad New Member

Yesterday saw the first public passenger train on the Mid Norfolk's extension to Hoe (last week's was for invited guests). The railway's Facebook page ( https://www.facebook.com/midnorfolkrailway) has a number of photos and Owen Stratford's Flickr photo stream has some different views ( http://www.flickr.com/photos/pwayowen).

Official distance to bridge 1701 is 14 miles 04 chains (distance from the junction at Wymondham - the MNR/Network Rail boundary is at 08 chains)

kestreleyes likes this.
  19. s1m0nad

s1m0nad New Member

The MNR has been running an appeal to raise funds for a maintenance shed, seeking to raise £90,000 to build a steel framed shed, initially 19m x 50m. Up to now the railway has managed without any covered accommodation (the Dereham goods shed isn't connected to the running lines), so this has been a high priority project. Some work has been carried out including installation the necessary pointwork (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pwayowen/8255485202/in/set-72157627782293761/ - Owen Stratford's photo), but substantial progress has been waiting for sufficient funds to be raised.

However the project has taken big leap forward in the last couple of weeks with the purchase of a second hand 18m x 55m steel frame - full details here http://www.mnr.org.uk/shed/. The appeal remains open as there is the small matter of re-erection, cladding, flooring, electrics etc - see http://www.mnr.org.uk/shed/2013leaflet.pdf

20. John R

John R New Member

I can't help feeling that the MNR website needs updating. The news section detailing work on the line hasn't been updatedfor several months, and it's not obvious which of the appeals are still active (eg the Sponsor a Sleeper page refers to major donors being entitled to travel on the first page to Hoe). There are also reference to appeals for a signalbox, footbridge and coaching stock - but no indication whether the opportunities discussed have now passed. A more coherent view on what the railway's next targets are might help interest and, more importantly, donations.