If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Merseyside Tornado - 2nd October 2010

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by Jeff Albiston, Sep 18, 2010.

1. Jeff Albiston

Jeff Albiston Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    LNER A1 Pacific 60163 'Tornado' hauls HF Railtours 'Merseysdie Tornado' on Saturday 2nd October.

The route is steam hauled throughout, and runs from;

Liverpool South Parkway to Runcorn, Crewe, Stafford, Lichfield Trent Valley & London Euston, and returns via the same route.

2. Dan Cross

Dan Cross New Member

Dad, Husband then Tug Skipper & DAPS Chairman
    This tour has now sadly been canceled and re-scheduled for May 2011. I Believe this was due to low bookings.
    From the HF Website:
    "It is with great regret that we have had to postpone THE MERSEYSIDE TORNADO on Saturday October 2nd to Tuesday May 24th 2011. Passengers who wish, may transfer their booking to THE CALEDONIAN TORNADO on November 3rd by contacting the office on 01453 835414"
    Lets hope HF rail tours up their advertising budget and make a go of this.

3. dp266

dp266 Member Account Suspended

Project Management
    The cancellation does not surprise me. Marketing for this tour was very late in the day and on an already busy weekend, Royal Scot etc. HF need to plan further ahead, and rescheduling to May 2011 is a good sign of that. We will book this tour.

4. 5944

5944 Resident of Nat Pres

Train Maintainer for GTR at Hornsey
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Starting the tour from Lime St and not some little shack in the suburbs may have helped.

5. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    Liverpool South Parkway is a new station built to provide access to Liverpool Airport, and can hardly be called a shack campared to say Kensington Olympia.
    http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&s...358453,-2.88905&spn=0.00315,0.010943&t=k&z=17

Perhaps they were not sure of Tornados ability to lift the train out of Lime Street, after all it is a steep bank.... :whistle:

6. marton

marton New Member

The operator told me the reason for starting from Southparkway was network rail would not guarantee access to Lime street with a 13 coach train.

7. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    Ah yes that problem, I believe that 13 coaches, + the diesel that has brought the train in, can mean that the loco is the wrong side the start signal, the reason that the NWCE and CMEs that have started from there have been a coach less than those starting from Crewe.

8. 8A Rail

8A Rail Member

That little shack is some station - very modern, clean and friendly station staff too. Also it costed over (I understand) £30 million to totally rebuild the station which incorporated the old Allerton Station and the nearby Garston Station that served the Merseyrail 3rd rail network. It has 6 platforms in total, a bus interchange and excellent parking facilities. In fact I can understand why the "tour" would start & finish there.

By the way, the Google image is way out of date - the station is not even finish on that image as it opened on 11 June 2006. The large building at top of image next to station is a housing estate now.

9. Jeff Albiston

Jeff Albiston Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
    Very wise that HF Railtours have re-scheduled this tour for next year. Gives them more time to publise & market it.

10. Jon Martin

Jon Martin New Member

Lime Street is limited in that there are only a couple of platforms now that are long enough for big trains, than these have to to cope with the regular virgin trains and the TPE / London Midland, East Midland trains that run out of them.

LSP is a nice looking station, but on the mainline part of it, it had problem that nothing stopped there. The virgin trains and except for the local services, the Manchester trains all missed it, giving the impression of a £30m folly. a station kept nice because nobody uses it.

Would have been nice to Tornado it start from merseyside, it doesn't visit the big NW stations enough

11. dp266

dp266 Member Account Suspended

Project Management
    How about rescheduling the start from Preston/Wigan. Ample platform space and readily accessible for all in the NW and beyond. LSP is not the easiest station to get to by rail compared to Lime Street, so if the latter is not possible an alternative main line station surely makes sense. How many people looked at the number of changes needed to get to and from LSP and thought "not worth it?" Tour times mean that good access to and from the origin is a crucial consideration.