If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Mersey Ferry 'Royal Iris'

Discussion in 'Everything Else Heritage' started by Thompson1706, Sep 21, 2009.

1. Thompson1706

Thompson1706 Part of the furniture

Retired
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I have heard a rumour from a reliable source in the shiprepair industry that a scheme is being considered to retrieve 'Royal Iris' from her berth on the Thames, adjacent to the Barrier, & return her to the Mersey for full refurbishment back to passenger carrying certification.
    If true this would cost a fair few million pounds, as all of the machinery dates from 1951, & the hull is in poor condition, especially the bottom plating which is covered with doublers, done during successive dry dockings to keep her sailing.There is also a large amount of asbestos,both white & brown, present, which would need removing prior to work starting.
    She was built at Denny's of Dumbarton to an Art Deco design & was powered by 4 diesel generator sets driving 2 electric motors (although only 3 gen sets were used at a time).
    The ship has the distinction of being the only ship that the Beatles performed on (pre-Ringo days) 4 times, as well as all of the other Merseybeat bands.
    This is a much better proposition for local tourism than the U-Boat scheme, which appears to be an expensive flop.

Bob.

2. MarkinDurham

MarkinDurham Well-Known Member

Now that sounds like a hell of a job. Interesting though. I've memories of being on the Iris when I was a lad. Quite why it was allowed to go 'down south' was always a mystery to me.

3. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

Hope it comes off, I have some happy memories of the Royal Iris.

4. *8A*

*8A* New Member

Yes this would be fantastic if it comes off - pity a similar scheme can't be found for the Manxman. Two of the last remaining links to the great river history of the Mersey. The loss of these two to the city nestles amongst other municipal vandalisms of the mid 20th century such as the loss of the Overhead Railway and Liverpool's extensive tramway system.

5. channel

channel Member

Assistant Harbour Master
    Be great if it comes off, and she could prove a lot easier to preserve into the future than Manxman. I went aboard her when she was in Cardiff but she was pretty much stripped by then.

For a great view of her on the Thames why not sample Waverley when she's there in the next week or so!

6. Thompson1706

Retired
    The 'Iris' is a feasible project due to her being diesel powered & being relatively small compared to 'Manxman', & could have her upper superstructure removed alongside a quay wall & then the existing machinery lifted out for overhaul /renewal & the hull could then be craned onto a quayside or dragged up a slipway for repair. The job is simplified somewhat by her not having a double bottom.
    The 'Manxman' would now only be able to be restored as a static exhibit ,as the cost of making her comply with the 'new' S.O.L.A.S. regs being enforced from next year would be prohibitive.

Bob.

7. 61624

61624 Part of the furniture

Some years ago I went o the Greek Island of Kea - and the ferry was the "Royal Daffodil" which I assume was a sister ship. I wonder if it is still in use?

8. 60017

60017 Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Retired from corporate slavery :o)
    No I do not currently volunteer

Unless she is restricted to 'coastal work?'

9. 60017

60017 Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Retired from corporate slavery :o)
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Who is said to be fronting the funding for this then ?

10. 46118

46118 Part of the furniture

Without taking you off-topic too much, can I just mention two other steamers out of Liverpool, and wonder if anyone recalls them? I am not sure which we actually travelled on, but the two names that come to mind are the St Tudno and the St Seiriol.
    In the mid-1950's our local schools (near Sheffield) chartrered a train, Black 5 hauled if my memory serves, and we journeyed to Liverpool, walked across to the Pierhead, and had a very pleasant voyage down the coast, spending the afternoon in Llandudno, while our train was worked down from Liverpool ECS ready for the return run over the Pennines.

Imagine trying to do that as a school trip today!

11. Guest

Guest Part of the furniture Account Suspended

Occasional
    Happy Days indeed

I have not heard this rumour, so let's see what happens, and if there is a valid and capable group out there.

There is some interest in Liverpool in retaining coastal cruising, but I don't ever see the Iris having an active role under the Mersey Ferries banner again.

The Manxman is the greatest potential loss given her traditional and stately lines and lineage, as the Iris was the Ford Anglia of its day - and beauty most certainly lay in the eye of the beholder when considering those upperworks

Watch this space I suppose.

12. Thompson1706

Retired
    To answer several questions :-

The scheme is supposedly backed by Merseytravel.

It would not be practical to restore 'Manxman' for coastal trips as this would probably affect 'Waverley' & 'Balmoral's' business. Does anybody disagree with this ?

I remember the 'St.Seiriol' & 'St. Tudno' from the early 60's.but unfortunately never got the chance to sail on them. I did get the chance (frequently) to sail on the four Birkenhead steam ferries & the two remaining Wallasey steam ferries.

Bob.

13. *8A*

*8A* New Member

Interesting as presumably Merseytravel disposed of the Iris in the first place. Whilst not wishing in any way to affect the business case of the marvelous Waverley and Balmoral, I don't think they spend much time in the northwest so the Manxman operating from Liverpool on coastal cruises should not compete too much. However I appreciate the size of the two tasks are greatly different and if it was remotely possible to restore Manxman, the group who tried would have succeeded. Pity there isn't a JH out there with an interest in Mersey shipping and a few million to spare!
    I too remember the St Tudno and St Siriol, lovely little ships, I heard the Daffodil sank in Greek waters somewhere, she was of course a Wallasey ferry with an extra deck to the Egremont and Leasowe - one or both of which also exist somewhere, Egremont in Salcombe I think.

14. Guest

Occasional
    Fiction then - Merseytravel have financial problems with the existing fleet - another ship they need like a hole in the head.

15. stan the man

stan the man Member

Hopefully here is still chance the Manxman will be saved, it appears her asbestos is her saving grace.

It will be tragic if she is lost.

As for Royal Iris, lets hope this plan comes to fruition.

On another note, what a shame we are loosing the TS Queen Mary to France.

Jim S

16. Thompson1706

Retired
    To answer Tbird Frank, the ferries financial problems didn't stop Merseytravel from spending millions on the U-Boat project. I think that the money comes from a different budget.

Bob.

17. Dan Cross

Dan Cross New Member

Dad, Husband then Tug Skipper & DAPS Chairman
    Interesting thread..........
    MerseyTravel certainly have "access" to lot's of funding but I would not say they are cash rich.....well connected I think.
    The plans for the Iris have been mooted several times.
    I would ask amongst you all, with you all mentioneing the Manxman as a steamer, the Iris as a Mersey ferry (Although built in Scotland), what do any of you know about the 1903 built steamer "Daniel Adamson" which is under restoration in liverpool?
    Does she not tick all the boxes?
    Dan

18. GHWood

GHWood Member

Does anyone happen to know if Manxman is under cover at Sunderland or moored on the river again?

19. Guest

Occasional
    Manxman is still in the covered drydock

The Daniel is a superb piece of restoration - but can only ever be a minor player in the passenger carrying preservation world.

The Iris has, regrettably, not appeared on anyone influential's radar, so where this rumour has started I don't know - but given current economic circumstances, unless the marine preservation world finds its own Jeremy Hoskins or Pete Waterman, she's staying on the mud in the Thames.

20. Thompson1706

Retired
    They aren't looking for private money for this. They seem to be able to find public money from various sources to fund these projects.

Bob.