If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

[May 27, 2024] Isle of wight railway steam gala (Ryde)

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by Newington, Aug 24, 2016.

Isle of wight railway steam gala
Start Date: May 27, 2024 09:00 AM
End Date: May 30, 2024 09:00 AM
Time Zone: Europe/London +01:00 BST

Havenstreet railway station near ryde Isle of Wight
Ryde Po33 4DS

Posted By: Newington

Confirmed Attendees: 0
You can not RSVP for this event...

The organizer for this event has disabled the RSVP system; RSVP has been closed.
  1. paulhitch

paulhitch Guest

One of the constraints around Havenstreet is that most of the surrounding land is either an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty (A.O.N.B.) or a Site of Special Scientific Interest (S.S.S.I.). Indeed the railway actually owns a modest area of S.S.S.I. which has to be managed although it is used to broaden the visitor experience as it adjoins the footpath to Train Story.

In any case I would think a former bus garage is a particularly appropriate place to have a bus museum.

PH

2. nanstallon

nanstallon Part of the furniture

Retired
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Vintage bus day on 15/16 October - 'Beer and Buses' - based on Haven Street. Attractive enough to draw me for the weekend before I go into hibernation.

John

3. nanstallon

nanstallon Part of the furniture

Retired
    ... but in the early 60s, this was the typical experience on a summer Saturday when trains were wedged with holidaymakers. 'Are we there yet, Daddy?' So, you could say this is a very authentic experience.

John

paulhitch likes this.
  4. martin1656

martin1656 Nat Pres stalwart Friend

No I do not currently volunteer
    is there a train service that week end, i might be tempted to pop over myself on the Saturday, ive checked the train times and at £17.50 for a day return to portsmouth i couldnt afford to drive it for that, so could have a drink, plus the 16th is my 60th

5. paulhitch

paulhitch Guest

The answer is basically "Yes" but it looks a bit complicated to explain. Best to look at the IOWSR website

PH

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2016
  6. Newington

Newington New Member

There is a train service weekend of 15th and 16th of October. The diesel gala was a success and thanks to all those who undertook some momentous journey's and those who came from not so far. Looks like there will be a another gala next year. The railway would take a 1938 car if it was offered as part of the collection. I think it regrets not taking the earlier stock,but the railway was in a poor financial state then and had no space to store it (things have improved since). The over crowding is partly due to our success but mainly due to the loss of two bogie coaches for new underframes. The old ones corroded beyond repair. The work is in hand at premises off the Island and the body work being sorted out in the Havenstreet workshops.Things may be easier when they return to service. It would be nice to obtain some ready to run coaches that fits in with the railway image, Those we have been offered need more work than the ones we had I understand.

gwalkeriow likes this.
  7. cav1975

cav1975 Member

I had the pleasure of visiting the Isle of Wight Bus and Coach Museum last Sunday. It is excellent and I would recommend a visit.

8. cav1975

cav1975 Member

The reality is that there are very few coaches around that are compatible with the railway. Any imports would need to have side buffers, screw couplings, air brakes, length less than 60', restriction 0 width (or barred windows) and low height. I did trawl around when the underframe crisis arose and, as "newington" says the very few vehicles that met all these requirements were a long way from ready to run condition or were in use by their owners. At a pinch a vacuum braked set that met the other requirements could be used with some locos (principally the Ivatt and the 03 diesel), but then a complete train would be required.

9. Wenlock

Wenlock Well-Known Member Friend

Bus Driver
    Would I be right in thinking that the Met T stock is too wide?

10. cav1975

cav1975 Member

It might be useable if window bars were fitted, but when we looked at the two vehicles they needed a lot of work.

11. M59137

M59137 Well-Known Member

Carriage & Wagon
    I would suggest that a single 1938 car be an essential exhibit for train story, particularly in the abscence of a surviving 1924 car. A single 40ft space would be representing at least 25 years of Island Rail history with the 38 stock, and indeed 50 years of electric operation.

I don't personally believe a lash up with a generator or an 03 going up and down the line is that representative or awe inspiring for the visitor, I would leave the "living breathing" element to the Victorian era. However I'm sure there is a strong case for one 1938 car in train story, perhaps initially "as withdrawn" but one day in "island original" i.e. 1991 NSE condition.

I think the IOWSR is fantastic, they do a great job and train story is a great facility and presented well. I think it could be even better from a museum point of view if the "electric era" were to be represented with a single large exhibit, suitably supported by the information panels etc which are already there. When the 38 stock is dispensed with, I suspect that will be the last opportunity to realise such a development.

Sent from my HTC Desire 620 using Tapatalk

Richard Long and gwalkeriow like this.
  12. paulhitch

paulhitch Guest

Like everything, this is not straightforward. Just about everything in Train Story is either serviceable or potentially useable, even if the "potentially" is in the dim distant future. Even now much potentially useable stuff has to be stored outside. Is there L.T. 1938 stock preserved elsewhere?

PH

13. M59137

M59137 Well-Known Member

Carriage & Wagon
    Fair points, undercover accommodation is always at at ultimate premium so should be dealt out with appropriate thought and reasoning. If Train Story is meant only for running and future running stock and not permanent static exhibits then I would accept that a 1938 stock car with no reasonable prospect of operating in service may be inappropriate. I like to think I'm not a unreasonable dreamer so can understand the practicalities of having a facility like Train Story.

Having said that, and being in danger of straying into WIBN, perhaps in the dim and distant future a more appropriate scheme may be to seek a small and sensibly sized static space undercover elsewhere on the line for an exhibition covering the island's railways post steam, with a 1938 car at its centre surrounded by appropriate information and small artifacts. This would not particularly have to have a rail connection. If IOWSR succeed in long term plans to run to St Johns Road, perhaps the latter site may offer future possibilities for this, presumably not being in a SSSI? This idea would of course be a dead duck unless there are those on or close to the Island involved in the IOWSR who would want something such as this and were prepared to work to make it happen. No forum ramblings allocating the spending of imaginary money would realise such a project!

Returning to reality and answering your question, yes there is 1938 stock preserved in London. However the suggestion for a preserved 38 car would have to be specifically an Island example to represent their rather interesting re-use post-London, in the same way that there are other Terriers and LBSCR coaches preserved elsewhere, other examples with no connection to the Island's rail history.

I guess it boils down to does the IOWSR feel its remit ends when steam finished, and if the answer is no, how the later years are represented with the resources available and without detriment to the existing collection and era already represented. I'm guessing the answer to this has probably already been published in the various strategic documents etc, and indeed probably discussed at length on previous Nat Pres threads!

14. paulhitch

paulhitch Guest

I don't disagree vigourously with anything you say but the ex L.B.S.C.R. locomotives and carriages are actually in full revenue earning service.

Paul H

15. gwalkeriow

gwalkeriow Well-Known Member

Retired.
    Getting access into Ryde St Johns could well be the key to a number of opportunities for the IOWSR, it would be a much more suitable place for the electric era to be portrayed.

16. Newington

Newington New Member

Quick update. There will be a diesel gala in 2017 September 29 & 30 and October 1st. There is also a major steam event planned for the 27th,28th&29th May.

17. martin1656

it might possibly open up other opportunities in the former works area next to the present works if a suitable building can be found or built , to maybe display key items of railway history separate from the IOWSR, The ryde pier tram, and if its going to be a long time until it gets overhauled the E1?or if an out of ticket loco needs to be stored , as long as its rail connected depending on of course if the whole site, will become either a retail park, or a brown site housing development who knows one day there may be no point in extending back to ryde should the future end up being a railway less one,

18. M59137

M59137 Well-Known Member

Carriage & Wagon
    Visited the IOWSR today and was surprised to see the visiting 03 still there. I was unable to support the debut diesel weekend but had an enjoyable run behind the Ivatt 2 today, amongst the ghosts at Havenstreet!!

Looking at the recently repainted Army shunter and the external presentation of the Class 05 inside Train Story, I was pleased that the diesels look to be getting attention as well as the steam and coaching stock.

I have never been to the railway during a gala event, only ordinary days, however I am always impressed with what I see. Well done to all the volunteers and (presumably paid) staff that make it happen.

Sent from my HTC Desire 620 using Tapatalk

19. martin1656

Are there any plans to commemorate the ending of steam on the island on 31st Dec ? or a date close to it? 24 and the brighton bogie coaches maybe?

20. Newington

Newington New Member

Chris,
    Most of the staff you see on duty are volunteers, There are about 30 paid staff and unless there is a staff shortage in some area they will in the offices,workshops and buffet all have an important role to play in the day to day running of the railway. Some new footage taken from a drone has been posted on youtube. It is amazing and really shows the railway at its best.
    Martin 1656 I think there is some kind of celebration if you can email or call the railway and ask for the events manager you will get more details. Not sure what is planned but think No 24 is involved.