If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Maunsell U-1 class (31890-31910) 2-6-0

Discussion in 'Photography' started by neildimmer, Dec 31, 2019.

1. neildimmer

neildimmer Resident of Nat Pres

The SR U1 class were three-cylinder 2-6-0 ('mogul') steam locomotives designed by Richard Maunsell for passenger duties on the Southern Railway. The fifth member of the Maunsell "family" of standardised moguls and 2-6-4 locomotives, the U1 was the final development of the Maunsell mogul, and marked a continuation of the basic principles established by CME George Jackson Churchward for the GWR. Developed from Maunsell's previous SR U class design, the U1 class shared characteristics with Churchward’s GWR 4300 Class.

The U1 prototype was a rebuild of the unique 3-cylinder SR K1 ("River") class 2-6-4 tank locomotive, becoming operational in June 1928. The design was part of a drive to create a standard fleet of locomotives using parts interchangeable with other Maunsell-designed classes. The three smaller cylinders increased their route availability over the 2-cylinder U class.[4] The K1 rebuild featured a variant of the Gresley conjugated valve gear, previously trialled on the SR N1 class prototype, designed by one of Maunsell’s assistants, ex-GWR engineer Harold Holcroft.

The class was to supersede the production of N1 class locomotives because of its good performance, which amounted to an order for 20 more U1 locomotives in 1931. Production was halted at 21 locomotives, the class gaining a good reputation amongst crews, and all were transferred to British Railways (BR) ownership following nationalisation in 1948. They continued to give valuable service until the Kentish main line electrification scheme was completed in the early 1960s. The entire U1 class was withdrawn from service by 1963

Work on the new design of locomotive was undertaken in 1928 following the construction of the first of Maunsell’s U class locomotives. Maunsell wished to create a more powerful version with greater route availability than its predecessors. The Southern Railway had inherited routes with restricted loading gauge where the large, overhanging cylinders of a 2-cylinder locomotive could foul the walls of bridges and tunnels.[4] The new locomotive was intended to complement the U class by providing another locomotive capable of undertaking passenger duties on the Eastern section of the Southern Railway network between London and Ramsgate. The new locomotive, like the U and N classes before it, was intended to replace obsolete 0-6-0 classes in an attempt to standardise and ease maintenance by sharing parts with other Maunsell designs. Several K class 2-cylinder 2-6-4 locomotives had been successfully rebuilt as U class moguls, leaving the solitary 3-cylinder K1 class 2-6-4 number A890 River Frome for similar treatment.

Maunsell enlisted the help of the former GWR engineer Harold Holcroft, who had been recruited by the SECR as one of Maunsell's assistants. At Holcroft’s suggestion, the rebuilt locomotive was to feature a 2-6-0 wheel arrangement, enabling it to operate over the lightly laid track-work on the Eastern section of the Southern Railway, whilst allowing an increased size of boiler to those featured on the 0-6-0s. As the rebuild used similar parts to the N and K classes to aid mass production, the new locomotive also had many features previously found on the successful GWR 4300 class, following and improving upon Churchward’s design principles for this locomotive type. The redesigned locomotive was re-designated U1, and retained Holcroft’s variant of the Gresley conjugated valve gear used on the K1 2-6-4. To facilitate the rebuild, Maunsell used his past experience with the N1 class 3-cylinder locomotives as a template for the new design. The style of the new locomotive also demonstrated the Midland Railway influences of Maunsell’s other assistant, the ex-Midland Railway engineer James Clayton.

This collection comprises 33 photos starting with

S.R. era

https://railway-photography.smugmug...lass-2-6-0/Maunsell-U-1-Class-2-6-0/i-dhWxsCB

https://railway-photography.smugmug...lass-2-6-0/Maunsell-U-1-Class-2-6-0/i-ZcHbHSx

to 1909

https://railway-photography.smugmug...lass-2-6-0/Maunsell-U-1-Class-2-6-0/i-gBNfSSw

B.R. era

31890 (raised running plate over cylinders at front denotes the unique U1 rebuild from River class tank engine)

https://railway-photography.smugmug...lass-2-6-0/Maunsell-U-1-Class-2-6-0/i-795LnNq

to 31892

https://railway-photography.smugmug...lass-2-6-0/Maunsell-U-1-Class-2-6-0/i-2VxFzB7

to 31907

https://railway-photography.smugmug...lass-2-6-0/Maunsell-U-1-Class-2-6-0/i-mrp5NXk

Neil

2. Romsey

Romsey Part of the furniture

Retired SPM
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Hi Neil,

I can fill in a few gaps of locations.
    4/33 1894 Possibly Clapham Jn Down Brighton Fast Line Platform 13
    8/33 1907 Southerham Jn, Lewes
    11/33 31890 Cannon St
    18/33 31893 Southampton Eastern Docks. ( Not possible to get a ship at that angle to railway lines in the Western Docks.)
    29/33 31903 Cannon St

Cheers, Neil

3. bluetrain

bluetrain Well-Known Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Nock's book on Southern Steam includes Photo No 8, captioned "Victoria-Eastbourne Pullman car express near Lewes" - consistent with Romsey's location ID.

4. neildimmer

neildimmer Resident of Nat Pres

Thanks Neil

Neil