If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Mark 1s Derwent Valley Railway Livery?

Discussion in 'Heritage Rolling Stock' started by m&gn50, Mar 23, 2011.

1. m&gn50

m&gn50 New Member

Thinking of the J72 on recent NYMR shuttles, how about restoring the 2 Mark 1s there that ran on the DVLR in the 1977-1979 seasons in dark blue & cream with gold lining to the DVLR livery to go with it, would be historic and an interesting variety for specials? SK E24804 & BCK E21100 are carriages, no idea of long term plans/condition of said coaches. Does anyone have pictures in colour from this era?

2. 61624

61624 Part of the furniture

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I've a feeling 24804 was scrapped a few years ago, so restoring it might be a bit of a problem!

3. Bean-counter

Bean-counter Part of the furniture

No I do not currently volunteer
    Wrong! 24808 was sold to the Weardale, it was 25142 scrapped and 24804 and 21100 still run in the same set, the Non-Whitby Blood & Custard set.

Details of the NYMR fleet at: http://www.nymr.co.uk/enthusiasts/rolling-stock/

As 21100 has just completed a very major overhaul, and both coaches have pretty good paintwork (I seem to recall 24804 had a quick repaint maybe last year or 2009), I don't think painting out of the livery that matches the rest of the set would go down very well!

The 3rd Derwent Valley Mark 1 Corridor coache (there were some suburbans too), 13043 was still clinging to life I think, having just moved to the GCR but I believe this is for compenent recovery (the Gresley bogies are to return to the NYMR). i've spent many a night trying to sleep in that one when volunteer accommodation at Goathland!

Steven

4. m&gn50

m&gn50 New Member

Thanks for the info- is 13043 in any condition worthy of saving? Would be a shame to lose the set so long on....

5. pmh_74

pmh_74 Well-Known Member

Last I saw it was a gutted shell, and a rotten one at that. It may already have gone.

6. 61624

61624 Part of the furniture

Mk 1 FKs in good condition must be getting rare now - does anybody use them? Someone should restore one!

7. M59137

M59137 Well-Known Member

Carriage & Wagon
    Indeed, the Churnet Valley have recently completed a major rebuild on their only FK 13236. However it has emerged as an FO so doesn't count in this respect!

8. al4466

al4466 New Member

Gloustershire and Warwickshire railway have three running, several at Carnforth theres one converted to a kitchen car in their mainline set, Eden valley have two, Swindon and Cricklade have a couple, Midland railway centre have one, Boness have a couple in their mainline set and quite a few more around

9. guard_jamie

guard_jamie Part of the furniture

Signalman
    All hail the glory that is the Vintage Carriage Register :D

10. INSPIRATION

INSPIRATION New Member

GCR also has one, infact it was about 90% restored a few years ago, the exterior was rebodied on the lower half and the interior had many hours spent on it however the owner abandoned it at Swithland in 2006, with the passage of time it will need some of it re doing Im sure.

11. INSPIRATION

INSPIRATION New Member

Although not being much of a fan of the common Mk1, some serious dedication(and Money) has gone into this, must be one of the most comprehensive rebuilds I've seen thats been carried out in preservation.

12. Ben Vintage-Trains

Ben Vintage-Trains Member

We have a rather lovely choc/cream one that went up Shap and back down S&C at the weekend.

We offer these 1st class compartments on most of our trips. If you are traveling with a group of 4+ friends, it's a lovely way to travel. You book the compartment at a fixed price and can take up to 6 passengers in each.

13. M59137

M59137 Well-Known Member

Carriage & Wagon
    It certainly is, on the inside the seat frames and the misc fittings are all that is original. Over three years the coach has been built up from a re-skinned metal shell. It is a credit to all those involved (about 20 people I believe). All the wood (including bulkheads) that forms the interior has been made from new. There isn't much FK left but it is the best coach on the railway by a long way :)

14. INSPIRATION

INSPIRATION New Member

Will have to come to Ched soon for a look, not seen the FK/FO since I went to see the Beyer Peacock owner with his loco there.

The Moorlander, which now boasts its Pullman style livery(without the need for the name Pullman name which is a good thing) was also a vast improvement over the rather drab southern green I think, It really does look like a first class experience, I just wish the GCR had taken similer care and attention to detail with their Pullman style liveried mk1s like the CVR have, it makes all the difference to the overall image and product I think.

15. pmh_74

pmh_74 Well-Known Member

I don't believe the owner has abandoned it. More a case of other priorities and it needs money spending on it to finish it, I think.

16. Bramblewick

Bramblewick Member

As I recall, 13043 used to carry a little plaque recording the fact that it carried the Duchess of Kent when she reopened the NYMR. Was this salvaged when the coach was sold?