If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Manston running???

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by pete12000, Mar 8, 2009.

1. pete12000

pete12000 Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Does anyone know when Manston is likely to be running this spring?

I'm planning a trip to Swanage to travel with Manston, so any information as to when she's likely to be in service would be much appreciated!

2. Forevagrey

Forevagrey New Member

she is running but i dont have any idea at the moment when she is running sorry

3. Premier Prairie

Premier Prairie New Member

she is running but i dont have any idea at the moment when she is running sorry[/quote]

Is it me???? 8-[

John

4. 34007

34007 Part of the furniture

Is it me???? 8-[

John[/quote]

She is running - but yet you have no idea when she is running? I'm confused?? :-k :-k

Does the railway have a roster on the website like the MHR does to show which locos are running and when?

5. Ann Clark

Ann Clark Member

No afraid we don't have a loco roster. I think what was trying to be said was that she is fit for traffic but no idea when she will be being used. This weekend we were using the M7 for the service train on Saturday and the standard for the driver ex but that is likely to be different next weekend. Best bet is to PM TWR12 and ask him. Hope that helps.

Ann

6. twr12

twr12 Well-Known Member

Manston out for washout this week. It has a photo charter on 3rd April so will more than likely stay in traffic for a stint after that.

7. Forevagrey

Forevagrey New Member

Is it me???? 8-[

John[/quote]

?

8. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    !! ](*,) ](*,)
    Think about the first question and then think about your answer.

9. Forevagrey

Forevagrey New Member

i tried answering but i dont know everything all i was trying to be was help full ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

10. pete12000

pete12000 Member

The Southern Locomotives Ltd website now says the redeication will take place later in the year, does anyone know whether Manston is still likely to be running April 4th ?

I'm keen to travel down and ride behind Manston, so any info' would be much appreciated, for that weekend or ant other!

Thanks!!

11. nhthompson

nhthompson New Member

Engineer
    Re: Manston running?

Have you tried asking the Swanage Railway? info@swanage-railway.co.uk

12. pete12000

pete12000 Member

Thanks, I'll try the Swanage e-mail address again nearer the time, just wondered if someone on here may be "in the know"??

13. Ann Clark

Ann Clark Member

No sorry the locos are not rostered at Swanage as they are on other some other railways. All I can tell you is that I am the early turn fireman for next Saturday and I will have one of three engines. 34070, 80078 or the M7. I'll find out which when I get there at 0630.

14. John Petley

John Petley Part of the furniture

Researcher/writer and composer of classical music
    I note that next weekend is the "Railway at work/members' weekend" The Swanage Railway Website says that the Green timetable will be in operation, which is one steam and one diesel turn. Are you saying that your turn will be either on 30053, 34070 or 80078? i.e. only one of these three engines will be in steam, but you don't knnw as yet which one? On similar weekends in the past, I seem to remember at least two steam locos being used.

I would be interested to know, as may come down on the Saturday.

Thanks

15. sigsnguard

sigsnguard Member

There will only be one loco hauling trains on the Saturday, but a second should be in light steam for viewing on the Turntable as part of the "come and have a look" part of the event. On the Sunday this loco is likely to be hauling the 13:10 and 14:30 lunch trains so we will have two "out" for a time then.

As previously noted, there is no pre-published loco roster (even to the crews) so a call to the railway on Thu/Fri may give you the answer.

16. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    First railway I've come across that doesn't have a loco roster as such. I realise most visitors won't be that concerned as to which loco is hauling them but for those of us who have to travel long distances to visit the line it's a bit of a bind not knowing what's booked. Haven't seen 34070 since her return let alone ride behind her but I'm not keen on making a 300+ miles round trip on the off chance she may be working.

17. tobes3803

tobes3803 Member

Why not visit for the steam gala as i imagine subject to availability shes bound to be running and youl get too see all the other engines in traffic at same time simples =P~

18. portline

portline Member

Im sorry that we dont have a loco roster as such. We dont really have a massive pool of engines to call upon even at the best of times.
    The locos currently in traffic at Swanage are 34070,80078 and 30053. 34028 has gone to the WSR for a month or so and 6695 is due to return after the SDR 40th.
    Come july the whole fleet should be back in swanage and it is quite a line up. 34028,34070,80078,80104,30053 and 6695.
    There has never been a set loco roster at swanage due to maintenance contrasts and planned maintenance. It tends to be what operations decide to use. Engineering provide them with engines, they pick what they want. If locos are away ops gets what they are given, so its kinda hard to plan.
    As james said 34070 will do a charter on Friday the 3rd of April so it is HIGHLY likely that she will remain in traffic over the weekend of the 4th and 5th. Saves lighting up another from cold!
    Please get in contact with me if you really need to know and i will endeavor to find out for you, if not try ringing the railway to see.

19. Spamcan81

Training moles
    I was rather hoping to get to see and ride behind her before September.

20. Spamcan81

Training moles
    Not being critical just surprised really. I suppose it prevents crews from "cherry picking" when it comes to volunteering as happened on one railway I was involved with. Would be handy if she's in steam over Easter as that's likely to be the next chance I get to plan a trip to the Swanage.