If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Majorca

Discussion in 'International Heritage Railways/Tramways' started by ian king, Jan 4, 2009.

1. ian king

ian king New Member

Can anyone tell me anything about the narrow gauge electric line that runs from Palma to the north coast of Majorca?

Her Ladyship has induced me to take her on a cruise next summer (she probably thinks even I can't find steel rails and steel wheels several hundred miles out to sea!).

Two of the ports of call are Lisbon (great trams, know them well) and Palma where a shore excursion on the train is on offer.

Any details most welcome!

Ian King

2. horace

horace Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I can recommend the "Soller Train". We have been to Majorca twice on the first occasion we drove to Soller and did the round trip to Palma and back. On the second occasion we drove to Bunyola and travelled to Soller and back. The parking was much easier in Bunyola. Bunyola is where the coaches take you if you book the trip through your holiday rep.
    If you google soller train you will find some websites on the railway. I hope you enjoy the railway when you get there.

3. Ploughman

Ploughman Part of the furniture

Ex a lot of things.
    Not forgetting the Puerto Soller tram to take you the last bit from the station to the port.

4. Sheff

Sheff Resident of Nat Pres

Retired Engineer & Heritage Volunteer
    We did both lines last year - highly recommended. Our trip was organized, with a coach to Port Soller, then the tram/train back to Bunyola for coach back to hotel.. All tickets and seats pre-booked, which is handy in summer as it can get pretty busy, especially the tram.

5. Hunslets Finest

Hunslets Finest Well-Known Member

Ian,

I spent a week in Soller last Summer. Whilst my wife enjoyed the pool I explored the railways and mountains.

Line is three foot gauge and operated with 1920(?) Swiss built electrics. Starts in streets of Palma, crosses the plain, then climbs over the mountains to Soller.

As you have seen most cruise lines offer a day trip on the train to Soller and the Port. Personnally I would avoid these as the 'specials' look particuarly wedged! If you have the time I would travel independently on the regular trains, which although mainly are aimed at tourists can be a little more interesting (although often all trains in the am out of Palma are fairly full).

If photography is your thing recommend a day at the crossing point at Bunyola. A very charming station and town and the pub up the road sells German wheat beer! Alternatively street running in Palma is very interesting and may be removed in the future. If you want some ideas on shots pm me. Bus from Palma bus station is v easy.

Train is expensive so an option if short on time is to it one way and catch the bus back. Off the top of my head train is 10 Euro each way and bus two. They both have websites in English.

A 5KM tramway links the town with the port. Mix of 1913-16 built local trams and some 1930s ones imported from Lisbon. Some nice shots in Soller town partiicuarly in the am but best bit is the Prom at the port in the evening. Trams run every 30 mins but again are very expensive (4 Euro each way?) compared to the bus.

Some ideas of shots on here (not my website!). Climb to Viaduct takes over an hour from Soller and it is rather overgrown now.

http://www.railway-photography.net/mallorca/index.htm

In summary very much worth a visit!

Regards,

David

6. nanstallon

nanstallon Part of the furniture

Retired
    My wife and I had a week in Majorca in 2007, staying in Alcudia. We did a freelance trip by local bus to Soller, and went down to the port on the tram. It was Saturday lunch time by then, and the Soller market was in full swing with the tram running close to market stalls - a bit like Ecuador!

We then went on the Soller Railway to Palma - noting the little inspection car at the depot.

John

7. ian king

ian king New Member

Thanks to everybody! Well worth a visit by all accounts.

Ian King