If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Lynton and Barnstaple - Extension plans

Discussion in 'Narrow Gauge Railways' started by Old Kent Biker, Jan 26, 2016.

1. DragonHandler

DragonHandler Active Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Thanks for that info.
    The L&B Gala sounds like a good event. It's a shame that (a) I have other things arranged for the weekend and (b) Woody Bay is too far from London for a day trip.

2. Greenway

Greenway Part of the furniture

Yes I am an active volunteer
    Where else would farming folk meet before or afterwards often to settle a deal, have refreshments and maybe a meal? All part of the way of life it seems.

3. Mark Thompson

Mark Thompson Member

DH, To give you an idea, here is the modern-day view taken from just about the same point.
    as you can see, the original buildings have been expanded across the track bed, and the small building in the foreground is part of the base of the original water tower. The concrete signal post, although very possibly original to the railway, was planted in more recent times to publicise the Inn.
    Kentisbury,_Blackmoor_Gate_-_geograph.org.uk_-_176927.jpg

4. ross

ross Member

From my experience of cattle markets and the farmers and haulers who's businesses are transacted there, I'd say no coincidence at all. Even in the 21st century, Wednesday at Frome market is still the big day out for most local farmers and their wives. The bar is well used, as well as the restuarant

5. Mark Thompson

Mark Thompson Member

It's very reassuring to know that in this age of uncertainty, such things still endure. I've a mind to sample it for myself!

30854 likes this.
  6. ilvaporista

ilvaporista Part of the furniture

C.Eng
    I see that track has started to be laid at Snapper Halt. Before anyone gets too excited it is an isolated section just for show.

Robkitchuk and brmp201 like this.
  7. Tobbes

Tobbes New Member

8. Mark Thompson

Mark Thompson Member

Odd things reverberate through time for no apparent reason.
    Back in the dim and distant past, when I was still at school and just getting interested in railways, I found the classic "History of Southern Railway" by Dendy Marshall on the shelves of the school library, and "borrowed" it permanently.
    At the back of the book was an index of stations closed by the SR. One of the names which jumped out at me, mainly because of its strangeness, was Snapper Halt, and it was this name which was part instrumental in getting me interested in the Lynton and Barnstaple in the first place, picturing an obscure and empty platform in the middle of nowhere, already some 40 years vanished from the railway map of Great Britain, ploughed up or reclaimed by nature, its name forgotten.
    Yet 45 years on, here we are looking at Snapper today as if it were still 1935. I must go there soon, walk down that shady path from the road, and sit on the bench in the sunlight, listening to the Devon birdsong.
    Maybe we could even DSC_1448-1024x578.jpg take my old HMV portable gramophone along, and party like its 1935!

Last edited: May 14, 2019
  9. DragonHandler

DragonHandler Active Member

Thanks for the photo Mark.

10. JMJR1000

JMJR1000 Member

It really is a wonderful sight to see I must say, truly looks like the whole place was just frozen in time. I'd quite fancy visiting Snapper Halt myself sometime I reckon, though if I did, a part of me would be wondering how long I'd have to wait for the next train... ;)

nine elms fan and Mark Thompson like this.