If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Loughborough Central Canopy Appeal

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by Jamie C. Steel, Feb 26, 2010.

1. Jamie C. Steel

Jamie C. Steel Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Help us to restore Loughborough's Crystal Palace!

The grade II listed canopy is more than 110 years old. It now needs the biggest renovation of its life. We repaired a short section in 2006 and estimate the complete job (including the street level entrance roof) will cost £500,000.

Our fundraising plan will involve applying for a number of grants. A generous £50,000 pledge is already in the pot. However your generosity is vital. We're appealing for £120,000 towards the total.

We're ready to start work. Loughborough's Crystal Palace could be fully restored in less than two years if we can keep the funds flowing.

Vital Statistics

* "Dagger Boards", 1200 (around £10 each)
    * Outside gutters, 58 (around £100 each)
    * Panes of glass, 816 (on average £60 each)
    * Glazing bars, 840 (at about £40 each)
    * Trimmer beams, 28 (at about £500 each)

Incentives
    Donate any amount and we'll add you to the online roll of honour on our website.

Donate £300 or more and we'll add your name to a sepcial display board at Loughborough once work is complete.

Donate £600 or more and you'll be invited to a VIP ceremony to mark the end of the project.

Donate £900 or more and receive an invitation to ride in a freight brakevan during a GCR gala.

Donate £1100 or more and you'll be invited to ride on the footplate of Oliver Cromwell plus you'll receive regular exclusive email updates on the progress of the work.

Appeal webpage
    Appeal leaflet

2. Autocar

Autocar New Member

Glad to see the project has been set up. The state of the canopy has been a pet gripe of mine for a number of years. I will be seriously considering making a donation.

3. MrHillingdon

MrHillingdon Well-Known Member

My donation has been made and I wish them good luck with this appeal.

Cheers,

Paul