If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Looking for photos of interior of Manning Wardle/Bagnall/Kitson loco cabs

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by eldomtom2, Feb 16, 2023.

1. eldomtom2

eldomtom2 New Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Already posted this in a couple of other rail forums but thought I might get something here as well. I am looking for photographs of the interior of the cabs of locos built by the following manufacturers in the following time periods:
    • Manning Wardle locos built circa 1880s
    • W G Bagnall locos built circa 1890s
    • Kitson & Co locos built circa 1870s-1890s

2. mikehartuk

mikehartuk New Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
    Here's one. MW 0-6-0ST Charwelton at the K&ESR. Built a little later than you are looking for in 1917. A few mods/additions to suit passenger operation such as vacuum brake, steam heat etc and a rather more driver friendly regulator handle. Hope that helps,

Attached Files:

Bluenosejohn, eldomtom2 and 26D_M like this.
  3. eldomtom2

eldomtom2 New Member

Thanks a lot! I've actually found a couple of decent pictures of the cabs of MW contractors' locos used in the construction of the GC Extension, so now I'm mainly looking for Bagnall and Kitson cabs.

4. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    Manning Wardle's varied considerably in what was provided in terms of a cab. In its simplest, this simply consisted of a weatherboard. A good example of this is MW1210/1891 Sir Berkeley at the Middleton Railway. Next up in terms of comfort came the wrapover cab where the weatherboard was carried over to form a roof and, usually, back down to the bunker, as found on MW865/1882 Aldwyth in Armley Mills museum. The larger locomotives would have a more conventional cab. However, the various controls were usually quite similar, as shown in Mike Hart's photo above. I can get a photo of Sir Berkeley at the weekend (if I remember) .

5. eldomtom2

eldomtom2 New Member

Yes, I'm primarily interested in the controls since finding photos of cab exteriors is easy.

6. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    Took a couple of photos but forgot to post them. Photo 1 shows a typical MW cab layout for a loco with a weatherboard but those with cabs would be similar. The valve handles were always of this shape, nominally 4" long x 5/8" dia. On the boiler backhead, from L-R are the blower, injector steam, whistle, steam brake and injector steam. The steam brake was a preservation era addition. the valves were all mounted directly onto th boiler and there was no manifold. Photo 2 shows the reverser and, in red, the drain cock handle. The injector water valve is below this (slightly modified.) Everything else is a preservation era addition for the steam and vacuum brakes. In the shadow on th LHS is the LH injector water valve, the same as the RHS one. Salter safety valves seem to have been the norm on the smaller locos. The lower anchor point was on the regualtor quadrant casting and this style of casting was continued after the use of Salter valves ceased. It is shown on the photo of Charwleton, above.
    There should be a brass horseshoe shaped cover over the firebox but this is currently being repaired and not on the loco.
    The boiler is a 21st century one. 19th C ones would not have the large nuts on the end of the stay bars but had a riveted plate anchor instead.
    HTH.
    IMG_0463.JPEG
    IMG_0460.JPEG

7. eldomtom2

eldomtom2 New Member

Thanks a lot, that's exactly what I was looking for.