If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

(London, Thurs 11th Feb, 7:30pm) Talk: The Sierra Leone National Railway Museum

Discussion in 'Narrow Gauge Railways' started by timmydunn, Feb 9, 2016.

1. timmydunn

timmydunn Member

Trains and data
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    (NB in this section as it's being held in London, about the work of a mainly British team)

Hi all

-Many have been intrigued by the Sierra Leone National Railway Museum, so some of the UK-based team are giving talks to interested groups around the country. Speakers are Steve Davies, Helen Ashby, Anthony Coulls, or myself. This Thursday, I'm speaking at Keen House of The Model Railway Club near King's Cross, but all people are welcome, and that includes you, too.

Thursday, 11th Feb 2016 7:30 pm - 9:30 pm, £3.

In the wake of Ebola and civil war, an international team has rescued 15 British-built locomotives and coaches and are building a museum to aid the recovery of Sierra Leone's economy.

This is the story of the 300-mile British-built railway, how the Hudswell, Hunslet and Manning Wardle locomotives were hidden from scrap men for 30 years, how they were rediscovered by chance and how the team are now using them to kickstart the economy again, and build facilities for learning, development, education and tourism. Much progress is planned now that Ebola is hopefully conquered. Our next trip is in March.

It's a 90-minute talk plus an interval. Fully licensed bar with wine and beer to get you through the slower bits.

Details here: http://www.themodelrailwayclub.org/events/lectures

Or if you'd like to support us, the team are always grateful of any donation towards our projects to conserve and restore the stock for educational and tourist purposes in Sierra Leone: http://gogetfunding.com/sierra-leone-national-railway-museum/

Anthony Coulls likes this.
  2. timmydunn

timmydunn Member

Trains and data
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    And here is the poster that the kind folk at the MRC have produced

sierra leone museum.png

gwernol likes this.