If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

LMS/BR Boiler Number 12969

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by 32110, Jan 3, 2013.

1. 32110

32110 Member

Retired from full time paid work
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Does any one know what locomotives LMS/BR Boiler No. 12969, currently being refurbished for Ivatt 2-6-0 46447, was used on? I am assuming that is the boiler number based on photo below.

P1060043.JPG

2. houghtonga

houghtonga Member

Chartered Engineer
    You will need to find the either the boiler record card or failing that the loco record cards for the class - NRM is known to hold a number of them so it is possible that they have the Ivatt class 2s as well.

There have been some notable discoveries in the past when checking such records - 6203 is currently fitted with 9100 which was the original boiler for the Turbomotive 6202, and I understand 2807 is fitted with a boiler that once belonged to Toddington Grange - rather appropriate for a loco preserved on the Gloucestershire & Warwickshire Railway!

Gareth

3. LMS2968

LMS2968 Part of the furniture

Lecturer retired: Archivist of Stanier Mogul Fund
    Acording to A.F. Cook's 'Raising Steam on the LMS' from the RCTS, it was part of Boiler Order B471 which comprised Nos. 12968- 12907, completed 26/5/48 to 24/6/48 and fitted to locos 6420-6434, so it probably started life on 6421. There is no indication of where it was built, so almost certainly Crewe.

4. std tank

std tank Part of the furniture

Retired
    The NRM have the loco record cards for the Ivatt 2 2-6-0s.
    I have a copy of 46428's card. It shows that the loco carried 3 different boilers during its BR life, the first being 12975. So the first loco to carry boiler number 12969 would more than likely be one between 46400 and 46427. Unfortunately you cannot just subtract the difference between the boiler numbers to get the loco number. It is highly likely that the boiler has been carried by another Ivatt 2, as well. You will have to look through the cards to get the full history of the boiler.

5. mlivingstone

mlivingstone New Member

Hi

Mentioning 46428.... What do you see happening with it in the next 5 years? Would it be tackled after 80097 - do you think the facilities would be available in 2014?

Cheers
    Martin

6. std tank

std tank Part of the furniture

Retired
    There might be some developments in 2013. We will have to wait and see on that. A number of patterns have been made for replacement parts. The CAD drawings for the new tender chassis are pretty well complete.

7. mlivingstone

mlivingstone New Member

I wish you the best of luck and hope it comes off.