If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Lightly used routes

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by Big Dave, Jan 10, 2012.

1. Big Dave

Big Dave Member

Retired
    Re: Diesels on the back...?

Mods
    How about a thread on using lightly used routes, I'm sure Network Rail would be less uptight about their use.

I seem to recall that NR would look most favourably on the use of certain routes the one that springs to mind is the Central Wales route, this route has little traffic plenty of gradients and great scenery although it could do with some cutting back.

Could be a good discussion.

Cheers Dave

2. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    The problem with lightly used routes is that they also tend to be lightly signalled with long sections and less manning hours, thus less free paths. I would have thought that Newport - Hereford - Shrewsbury - Crewe would be one of the better bets?

3. guard_jamie

guard_jamie Part of the furniture

Signalman
    Yes, the Welsh Marches line used to be a stronghold of mainline steam - along with the North Wales line, and the S&C which has retained its popularity. All run through pleasant scenery, give a decent run etc etc. Perhaps a few more railtours along such lines may make life a little easier for all involved?

4. stevepurves

stevepurves New Member

I would place our line (the Syston - Peterborough, via Melton, Oakham and Stamford) in the lightly used category, hourly DMU in both directions, occasional freight. Its used for diversions etc at the minute. Plus you've got the line to Corby via Harringworth to use on north south tours. I remember there was sme quite successful Harringworth shuttles using the Kettering-Leicester-Melton-Manton-Corby-Kettering using a 4mt tank. VT have also capitalised on this with the annual Melton Victorian Fayre tour.

5. DH34105

DH34105 Member

Welsh Marches has a much more intensive service these days than it used to and that cuases some issues as well as some of the comparatively lengthy block sections. If memory serves me right there are plans to increase the capacity but cannt recall where the extra sectiosn were to be DH

6. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Having been on the Central Wales line twice last year it's a waste of time, a lot of the time you are travelling in a green corridor with little or no view of the surrounding countryside. There are quite a few level crossings where the speed restriction is walking pace, and there are also other speed restrictions meaning a steady run at a reasonable speed is out of the question, then, being single line there area also the waits at various crossing points.

7. mike1522

mike1522 Long Time Member Friend

What is the line that 48151 pulled a trip over shortly after LMS Weekend at NRM this past September?

8. mrKnowwun

mrKnowwun Part of the furniture

Retired
    The Peterborough/Melton route via Oakham and Stamford is more than occasional freight at some periods its quite active.

9. Ben Vintage-Trains

Ben Vintage-Trains Member

I was just looking at that route (again) this afternoon. Spooky!

Look for something later in the year….fingers crossed!

10. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

The problem with some of these routes is, do they attract enough passenger interest for tours to run regularly over them without being cancelled ?, they must of fell out of favour for a reason afterall, Newport isn't the most glorious destination ever!.

From what i can tell Vintage Trains two most popular intineries continue to be Chester & York which suggest when picking tours that destination is king.

11. Paul42

Paul42 Part of the furniture

I would agree.

Graeme Bunker said on a trip in December 2009, that Steam Dreams most popular destinations were Bath, Canterbury & York.

12. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

Boulby flyer... It went with a diesel in the end.

13. gwr4090

gwr4090 Part of the furniture

Scientist (Rtd)
    There are plans to install Intermediate Block signals near Llanvihangel within the next few months or so. This will break up the long 12 mile section between Abergavenny and Pontrilas boxes which is a frequent cause of delays.

14. mrKnowwun

mrKnowwun Part of the furniture

Retired
    They should use the Corby/Oakham line more often, the Welland Valley and the Harringworth Viaduct are really spectacular, It must look good from up there. For those who haven't seen it 60163 Tornado crossing Harringworth Viaduct 19th October 2011 - YouTube

15. GWR4707

GWR4707 Nat Pres stalwart

I got the train to Windermere the other week and whilst waiting there it did make me wonder why tours don't terminate there?

I am sure there are good reasons for this, but whilst it is single track it is possibly close enough to Carnforth to attach a diesel there to drag the stock back to Carnforth for loco turning and servicing etc?

16. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

Usual combination of spare paths , facilities and quite possibly weight restrictions?

17. J Shuttleworth

J Shuttleworth Member

The Windermere branch is operated as a 'long siding' from Oxenholme and a brief glance at the current timetable (http://www.tpexpress.co.uk/media/109726/10_wdm-oxn_dec2011.pdf) shows virtually constant occupation by service trains (ie. one off, another on), except possibly late on a Saturday evening and early on a Sunday morning.

We operated a diesel charter via the branch, last year, late on a Saturday evening, which was the first for many years but it merely stopped, reversed and then came back again. SD's 'Explorer' birefly toyed with the idea before it was concluded the Oxenholme was a rather more sensible set-down, for the Lakes.

Lightly used lines tend to have had the operating infrastructure reduced to reflect regular use ('the minimum railway'), which, in many cases does mean finding additional paths for charters is often commensurately difficult.

JS

18. Big Dave

Big Dave Member

Retired
    Ralph

Point taken on he CWR hence my comments about it needing a damn good cutting back but the scenery is fantastic or could be.
    The last time I went over there was behind 45110 driven by Ray Churchill and he didn't hang about.
    I've not been over it since because of some bs about safety from RTC, I hope they have dropped this since the barrier vehicle went away.
    WCR and VT are both OK about taking wheelchair bound people.
    VT proved that a trundle along a branch is popular, the two panniers trip was sold out, hope they do another.

Cheers Dave

19. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

Taking panniers on the branch to Bourne End and Marlow from Maidenhead would be a nice one.... There's a spare platform at Bourne End

I understand the last steam on this branch was 6998 to Bourne End, and 1466 running to Marlow in the 1970s.

Theres some great surviving GW architecture around here, including the 2 coach auto train shed over the platform at Maidenhead (and sidings to be out of the way), access is from the down slow from Paddington.

There should be at least one path each way an hour?. As there's 1 train each way an hour taking 11 minutes to traverse to Bourne end. Marlow is a bit more tricky as its effectively a 5 minute long siding from 1 platform at Bourne End... But it's do able.

20. No.7

No.7 Well-Known Member

Westbury – Taunton is a good mainline section but with relatively light traffic so it surprises may how many tours initially advertised on this route eventually end up going through the very busy Bristol – Taunton section. Assume RTC will be making use of this with the trips to Minehead this summer.