If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Letters page

Discussion in 'Heritage Railway' started by southyorkshireman, Jan 21, 2009.

1. southyorkshireman

southyorkshireman Resident of Nat Pres

Rotherham 41D or Metropolitan Railway boardroom
    Having read the latest letter from David Ward, I can't help getting the feeling that space is being wasted on progressively poorer and 'out on a limb' arguments from supposed 'Big names' How about publishing a few more letters from people with something constructive nay even useful instead!?

The point where he starts arguing that 6233 has been modified so much that Brunswick is historically inappropriate really shows the bottom of the barrel has well and truly been tapped out and we're still sinking.

Its paint, lets have less of the ego battles (I hadn't realised that mags needed to imitate forums in that respect) and more from people with something interesting to say. Had that letter not 'major figure's signature I bet it would not have been printed..... (I seem to remember a page was dedicated to same person's opinions on Gresley's paint a few months ago)

2. michaelh

michaelh Part of the furniture

Very comfortably early retired
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer

Unfortunately, David Ward is always available - "rent- a -quote"

3. Swan Age

Swan Age Member

No I do not currently volunteer

Yeah, totally agree.

I find his latest comments in the Flying Scotsman article in HR issue 120 rather silly.

I especially find the comments related to the boiler overhaul and associated cost as rather rich, coming as they do from a man that is currently invoved with a spiralling overhaul cost with 6100 Royal Scot!

Also if his previous involvement with FS had ensured the A3 boiler was properly looked after then it may not have needed quite so much work as it now does.

People in glass houses and all that!

4. Swan Age

Swan Age Member

No I do not currently volunteer
    Also i am dissapointed that Heritage Railway allowed the Flying Scotsman article to be biasedly written by a man who was involved with its previous custodians. Whatever happened to objective reporting. It is so anti NRM that it is appalling.

Robin Jones please get a grip, and stop allowing your publication to be used as a political paper, it seemed like poor Helen Ashby had to defend every decision the NRM takes regarding the loco.