If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

latest issue out today

Discussion in 'Heritage Railway' started by hughesfowler, May 7, 2008.

1. hughesfowler

hughesfowler Member

Well saw latest issue today in whsmiths, did I buy it, NO!! WHY!!! same reason as I talked about last month, reproduction, centre page spread out of focus, previous page with Bittern terrible, most other pictures looking like some painting gone wrong. Content of mag is excellent , excellent articles well wrote, but having to look at out of focus pics is something I will
    not spend my money on. Come on hr,when is this going to improve, the silence is deafening

2. David

David Member

water meter reader
    I did buy it today along with SR mag and have to agree with the poor reproduction photos in HR. I feel sorry for Warwick Falconer and J Herbert who's photos in the snow of 80151 and 1638 were quite frankly awfully. I'm sure their original photos are very good but the reproduction of them in the magazine is extremely poor. The news content was very good but I agree HR mag has got to sort out the reproduction of photos.

3. w15cowes

w15cowes New Member

Reproduction is one subject but cedric johns bit about tangmere derailed at the lane in mid april is complete fantasy. One of the depot staff there told me that just 2 drivers/wheels came off on a point blade and that was that. No wheels were off on the support coach, and all the tender wheels also remained on the rails.
    Cedric, you just couldn't make it up, or could you?

Bit ike the Nunney Castle failing rubbish he concocted as well I suspect
    Bet we dont get a reply to this.

4. 24C

24C New Member Account Suspended

[removed]

5. black5

black5 Well-Known Member

Theatre
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    In general the coverage was good although why do Heritage Railway like spectulation, particularlly revolving round the Fairburn tanks, they state that one is likley to visit and steaming of the GCR, didn't the same magazine claim one of the 2-6-4Ts was going to the Bluebell last summer making it sound like a done deal for a visit, did that happen?

6. James

James Part of the furniture

It's not picture quality they're complaining about, it's picture reproduction. Often poor printing can lead to garish, saturated, and overlapping colours that do no justice to the original photograph. Sometimes the text gets the treatment too, and that just gives you a headache when you try to read it.

7. ipod

ipod Well-Known Member

I don't buy this mag but I did have a flick through someone elses copy the other day... on a positive note, I did enjoy The last engine cleaners of British Railways article by Maurice Burns... I like the occasional once over with an oil rag idea... 8-[

8. cct man

cct man Part of the furniture

CONSTRUCTION
    This issue was pure rubbish, Steam Railway knocks spots off them.

I too will be suprised if anyone will reply to any of us, arrogance springs to mind.

Regards
    Chris

9. Bean-counter

Bean-counter Part of the furniture

No I do not currently volunteer
    Would you care to state why you find it rubbish, Chris?

In recent months, I have found Heritage Railway much better than Steam Railway, which has been too obsessed with special issues and self-congratulation. However, I would probably have to admit that it is because Heritage Railway has recently provided good coverage of the Railway I am involved with, whereas largely we don't exist as far as Steam Railway is concerned, not being the Great Central.

I have not exactly finished the latest issue of either but have done little more than galance at Steam Railway whilst I have had a good read at Heritage Railway and enjoyed it. Even the 1968 stuff, which I have got really sick of in Steam Railway, is interestingly done and well presented, again probably helped by the fact that I know some of those involved back in 1968.

It is, of course, a matter of personal interest ancd choice - and I do tend to feel most railway magazine buyers who post on either the Steam Railway or Heritage Railway threads are already loyal to one or the other (usually the one they aren't posting about!)

Regards

Steven

10. MikeParkin65

MikeParkin65 Member Friend

No I do not currently volunteer
    I think that HR is very harshly judged on this website. Its not purporting to be a 'glossy' in the way that SR does - the pictures illustrate the stories or flesh out the news items. I accept that they are prone to hyperbole but I can read through that and for my money the magazine has an enthusiasm and boldness that some of the others lack. I'll stand to be corrected but I also believe that its the cheapest monthly railway periodical.

Its quite simple - if you don't like it you won't buy it but enough of us do appear to like it because its still in print....................

11. Guest

Guest Guest

FROM WHAT I HEAR ON THE GRAPEVINE AT OUR RECENT CLUB MEETING (AND AT THE FOOT OF PAGE 72 OF THE CURRENT ISSUE OF HERITAGE RAILWAY), THIS GUY HAS ACTUALLY GONE AHEAD AND DONE JUST THAT!

FURTHERMORE, I BELIEVE THIS MIGHT WELL BE THE FIRST TIME THAT ANYONE HAS EVER TRIED TO PRODUCE A BOOK DEDICATED ENTIRELY TO 1968.

IF THAT WASN'T ENOUGH, EVEN AFTER 40 YEARS, I AM ALSO INFORMED THAT HE HAS STILL MANAGED TO INCLUDE MAINLY PREVIOUSLY UN-PUBLISHED ARTICLES AND PHOTOGRAPHS!

IF IT'S ANYWHERE NEAR AS WELL-WRITTEN AND RESEARCHED AS THE 'BOAT TRAIN VALEDICTORY', I SHALL BE MAKING SURE THAT I AM FIRST IN THE QUEUE ON PUBLICATION DAY. SOMETHING LIKE THIS IS LONG OVERDUE AND WILL MAKE A CHANGE FROM THE FREQUENTLY REGURGITATED DRIVEL FROM THE SAME OLD TIRESOME CONTRIBUTORS THAT STEAM RAILWAY'S EQUIVALENT OFFERING (ALSO DUE TO APPEAR ANY TIME NOW) THREATENS TO DELIVER.