If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Last Slammers On The Move: Ashford to Barrow Hill

Discussion in 'Diesel & Electric Traction' started by SouthernElectricGroup, Mar 25, 2013.

1. SouthernElectricGroup

SouthernElectricGroup New Member

The last slammers to move into "preservation", the two 4Vop units used as tractor units at Ashford Chart Leacon, moved today from Ashford Chart Leacon to Tonbridge West Yard (via Dover and Canterbury).
    4Vops Move from Ashford to Barrow Hill

Tomorrow they are moving from Tonbridge to Barrow Hill, where they will be used for the last time in passenger service at Barrow Hill's Southern Saturday event on Saturday 30th March.
    Barrow Hill Southern Saturday

After this, various equipment will be removed for spares for the Brighton Belle, currently under restoration at Barrow Hill. As we understand it, other spares will be made available to other preservation groups.

2. Deepgreen

Deepgreen Well-Known Member Friend

Early retirement! (Ex-Business Improvement, LU).
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    On the subject of 'Slammers' - does anyone have any timings (or even the date!) of the move of 3417 to the Mid-Hants line, or has it already happened? The SEG has a brief item about it with 3417 having been moved onto the the third rail at Clapham yard - does this mean a transfer under its own power?

3. SouthernElectricGroup

SouthernElectricGroup New Member

We're still waiting on timings - no guarantee that we'll get the timings in advance, things can happen at very short notice! But if we do get the timings (and have time ourselves), then we'll share the info.

I expect Gordon will be dragged to the Mid Hants - even if Gordon is electrically fit to run under it's own power and allowed to (which I honestly couldn't answer), there is the issue of getting beyond the gates at Alton and that essentially means a diesel or ED needs to drag it in ....

4. Deepgreen

Deepgreen Well-Known Member Friend

Early retirement! (Ex-Business Improvement, LU).
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Thanks SEG - I thought it was unlikely to run on its own, but the point had been made on the web site about it now being on the third rail. I suppose an ED would be best as a 'one stop shop' traction for the journey.

Thanks again,
    Ian.

5. 21B

21B Part of the furniture

3417 isn't able to run under its own power as a leading unit as it lacks some of the plethora of accronyms required (OTMR and GSM-R I believe). Very kindly GBRf are going to tow the unit to Alton and lend us their 66 for the gala. We are expecting the arrival on Thursday afternoon next week, but timings are not yet confirmed.

3417 is on the juice so that the batteries can be charged and the brake system checked for the the FTR that is needed before it moves.

6. Steve1015

Steve1015 Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
    And you need the (air brake)extension pipes for the 66....