If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Last Active BR Blue Loco

Discussion in 'Diesel & Electric Traction' started by Whatley, Jan 27, 2009.

1. Whatley

Whatley New Member

Which Locomotive was the last mainline operational to operate in BR blue, excluding large logo etc. 56010 springs to mind, but wasnt 56004 repainted in the mid - late ninties too in blue? In the end it was proberbly a 37! :)

2. Selsig

Selsig Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    56006 was repainted and operated until withdrawal in December 2003 as a blue loco. 37308 was blue at withdrawal in June 2004. 87001 was blue at withdrawal when handed over to the NRM. 87002 and 86101 are blue again and still operational, as are 73208 and 73136. I think we can safely say that Banger Blue is still alive and well on the mainline today. As for the last loco that operated without having been repainted from when BR blue was still the official livery, I suspect an 08 is probably a good candidate.

3. Whatley

Whatley New Member

Sure yes totally forgotten about 08's! #-o

4. Drewry Car

Drewry Car Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    All the locos mentioned in the post above were repaints into BR blue as a heritage livery in the 1990s - to which 37408 (large logo) can be added I think. What was the last operational true BR blue loco - main line and shunter?

5. Edward

Edward Member

6. Spencer

Spencer Guest

08925 which is 'officially' stored is Doncaster's shed pilot (BR blue with white roof from its Wigan days)