If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Lancaster Green Ayre Railway Station

Discussion in 'Everything Else Heritage' started by Roger Farnworth, Feb 28, 2020.

1. Roger Farnworth

Roger Farnworth Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Lancaster had three railway stations. It now only has one. The article below considers all three stations before focussing on the Midland Station at Green Ayre. ...

http://rogerfarnworth.com/2020/02/28/lancaster-green-ayre-railway-station

Johnb and 242A1 like this.
  2. ilvaporista

ilvaporista Part of the furniture

C.Eng
    Thanks Roger. I always enjoy your work. Having lived in Morecambe for a year I made many trips round the one way system over greyhound bridge, if on my own I would even make chuffing noises.

Roger Farnworth likes this.
  3. 68923

68923 Member

Fabulous stuff, thanks for posting. Brings back many happy memories of childhood holidays in Morecambe and much "spotting". The main choices were either a "Ribble" bus to Hest Bank/Carnforth or a trip on the electrics to Lancaster. Happy days indeed.

4. 60017

60017 Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Retired from corporate slavery :o)
    I grew up in Lancaster, almost next door to Castle station (Lancaster No.2 box was at the bottom of the street). All year round, myself and two of my pals would spot at Castle station after school, but we always went to Green Ayre on the electric train to catch a Holbeck 'Peak' on the afternoon Leeds - Morecambe stopper. A shed bash was compulsory (the Foreman always allowed it), then it was back to Castle station, where we remained until the down 'Caledonian' swept through. This was in the period 1960 - 66, when a half cheap day return to Green Ayre was 3d (three old pence). Given that a platform ticket at Castle Station was 2d...it was a bargain !

5. 68923

68923 Member

I was more 1958-63 ish, but I bet we were often at the same platform ends or going round the shed at the same time! Coming from Braford I didn't "need" the Holbeck Peaks, back home some of our excitement came from the Patriots which handled the Morecambe-Leeds trains for a time.

6. 60017

60017 Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Retired from corporate slavery :o)
    Good stuff! We used to get super-excited on bank holidays when it was almost certain to cop a 'sixer' at Green Ayre on excursion trains from the Eastern Region. As we got older, day trips to Doncaster/York would provide wide-eyed entertainment as the ER section of our combined volumes used to fill up with 'cops!'