If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Knysna - George Railway

Discussion in 'International Heritage Railways/Tramways' started by ADB968008, Sep 29, 2009.

1. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

Has anyone any experience with this line ?

As I'm going to wander between Port Elizabeth and Cape Town I figured it'd be worth the stop

http://www.onlinesources.co.za/chootjoe/

I am lucky enough to find myself with chance to visit in a few weeks time, googling this line shows plenty of steam between Knysna and George, but the website shows George - Mossel Bay (the opposite direction).

When I emailed their response was somewhat confusing indicating Monday-Wed - Friday ops.. but their website says Fridays only.. and the tourist board shows daily steam operations !

no one answers the phone !

Anyone been, good, bad or ugly ?

2. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I worked out of George a few years ago and had the chance to visit the museum, which was well worth a look. It is my understanding though that the line to Knysna has been closed for some time due to landslides and any services that operated went to Mossel Bay. It has recently been rumoured that the whole operation (including the museum) was to close, maybe it has happened?

3. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    The George - Knysna service was suspended some considerable time ago due
    to massive landslips and line washouts. The steam
    run to Mossel Bay was introduced as an alternative but there were priposals to discontinue that. It may have ceased already. It all
    boils down to the fact that Transnet Heritage Foundation wants to get out of steam
    operations. There is talk of the Knysna line reopening but whether steam would make a
    comeback is another matter entirely.