If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Kirklees boiler incident

Discussion in 'Miniature Railways' started by Sheff, Jul 29, 2011.

1. Sheff

Sheff Resident of Nat Pres

Retired Engineer & Heritage Volunteer
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Just picked this up on the RAIB site ......

http://www.raib.gov.uk/publications/current_investigations_register/110703_kirklees.cfm

2. stan the man

stan the man Member

I cant understand how you drop a plug and not notice? surely the fire would be well and truly dampended at least on a loco of this size.

Stan

3. kesr

kesr Member

Owner
    I hope that this measure gets sorted soon.... Also wonder if anyone part of Kirklees is on the forum and if so whether they could shed more light on this issue

4. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    We've had previous discussions on whether a dropped fusible plug would be noticed or not. If the firehole door is closed, it is quite possible, even on a 15" gauge loco.

5. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    At least one poster on here is involved with Kirklees. He hasn't visited for a few days, though.

6. Live Steam

Live Steam Well-Known Member

Operations Manager
    The fusible plug is only a warning device, it probably doesn't have much effect on the fire except blowing its around a bit, if there are other noises around its probably quite hard to hear the steam escaping too.

7. Anthony Coulls

Anthony Coulls Well-Known Member

As the matter is still under RAIB investigation, I would not expect any comment from our man at Kirklees untilall is completed.

1 person likes this.
  8. Antwerp the great

Antwerp the great New Member

My name is Stuart Ross and I am the General Manager at the Kirklees Light Railway. We have issued the following statement to those people who have contacted us directly regarding the incident that is under investigation:

"On Sunday 3rd July while working a passenger train the Kirklees Light Railway’s Kitson Meyer Locomotive Hawk experienced low water incident with its boiler. During the incident damage was sustained to the locomotives inner firebox.

The incident was reported to both the Rail Accident Investigation Branch and the Office of Rail Regulation. The paid and volunteer staff of the KLR is cooperating fully with the RAIB and ORR inquiries into the incident."

While the incident is under investigation you will understand that I cannot comment further at this time.

1 person likes this.
  9. 4073

4073 New Member

Many thanks Stuart for taking the time to post on here, I'm sure we can understand that because of the investigation you can't comment any more than the official statement.

I visited the Kirklees last September, being interested in the Gas Producer Combustion System fitted to the locos. I found the volunteers and staff very friendly and helpful, and I would recommend to all on here, a visit to see these hard working locos.

10. Flutube

Flutube New Member

The Kirklees Railway is a splendid set up with great locos and very friendly staff. They have always struck me as being very professional group of people who know the game and are on the ball. For an incident like this to have happened there, of all railways, suggests to that they are doing the right thing to get a third party to take on the task of sorting out how and what happened. I hope whatever loco was involved is not too damaged. Good luck to everyone and hope its behind them quick.

11. stan the man

stan the man Member

Maybe in a big loco where there are more than one plugs you may not notice but in something this size which no doubt has a single plug I would have really have thought it would be noticed unless of course...........

You would certainley know if the plug went in any of the engines (road) I have owned.

Stan

12. 61624

61624 Part of the furniture

I managed to drop the plug on my 4" traction engine and I certainly knew it had gone. In this incident, by the time the plug melted I'd have thought the crew would have been watching out for it, given the fact that the water was said to be out of sight in the glass.

13. stan the man

stan the man Member

Your plug is working just as it should. No doubt you remove the plug each year and clean out the crud and scale from the top of the plug?

My inspector woudnt give me a ticket unless he saw the plug out each year.

Stan

14. HitlersTash

HitlersTash New Member Account Suspended

I find it hard to believe this is nothing but a one off incident at the KLR.

This railway is a great family attraction and we have been going for years, the staff are always nothing but polite and proffesional.

The KLR are doing the right thing in working with the RIAB to get to the bottom of what happened, their honesty and integrety should be applauded.

In the mean time we should wait for the RIAB's verdict before speculation damages the KLR's reputation.

15. kesr

kesr Member

Owner
    I have to agree. I have not found any other report of any other major incident from the railway and any report I have normally heard prior to this has always been of high respect for them

16. 60017

60017 Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Retired from corporate slavery :o)
    No I do not currently volunteer
    I have read nothing in this thread that could be deemed as 'damaging the KLR's reputation.' The incident is already in the public domain - speculation on sites such as this is a natural occurence.

17. stan the man

stan the man Member

Exactly what I was thinking.

Stan

18. DerekTrotter

DerekTrotter New Member

I appreciate your view sir.

Your speculation may be inevitable but it doesn't mean its accurate.

We should support the KLR in its hard work to get past this one off incident, on an otherwise impeccable safety record.

Regards. DT

Loyal customer and supporter of KLR

19. 61624

61624 Part of the furniture

Nor would mine, and yes it is removed, cleaned and inspected before being refitted, as is the spare; he also checks the threads in the firebox crown.

20. crantock

crantock Member

Beancounter
    No I do not currently volunteer