If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Kerr Stuart Sirdar Class 1158 / 1917 "Diana"

Discussion in 'Narrow Gauge Railways' started by Stokerpro, Oct 27, 2015.

1. Stokerpro

Stokerpro New Member

The restoration of Diana is now complete and the loco moved from the Vale of Rheidol to the Bala Lake Railway on Thursday 22nd October 2015 where it will be based. The following day it was steamed and ran the length of the line on gauging trials and is pictured here on its arrival at Bala.
    Diana is one of two Sirdar's known to survive and the only on in working order, the other is a national monument in Namibia. She was purchased to operate on the Kerry Tramway, near Newtown in Wales and was then sold and operated at Oakeley & Pen-yr-Orsedd Quarries.
    I would be pleased if anybody has any photographs of her at any of the above locations, as photos, especially of her in working order, are very rare.
    More photos can be seen on Diana's facebook page www.facebook.com/groups/247533388763708/
    399.JPG

Corbs, Stan loco, NGChrisW and 2 others like this.
  2. Charles Parry

Charles Parry Member

Great to here she isn't being kept at Aber like the Wren, but will actually get out and about. Is the same planned for Margret?

3. ghost

ghost Part of the furniture

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Diana is privately owned which is why it moved to Bala after its contracted overhaul at the VoR. I believe that Margaret is owned by the VoR so will probably stay there with occasional visits elsewhere.

Keith

4. NGChrisW

NGChrisW New Member

Speaking to a couple of the VoR guys at the gala, they were suggesting that Margaret may replace or alternate with the Wren on "Driver for a Fiver" duties at Devils Bridge next year.
    And of course the Wren has already made a few "guest" visits elsewhere since restoration, including Tracks to the Trenches.

Chris

5. Stokerpro

Stokerpro New Member

Diana is going to be re-dedicated and work her first passenger train on the Bala Lake Railway in fact her first ever solo passenger trains on Saturday 14th May.

The re-dedication will take place at 10.30. She will then work the 11.00 departure from Llanuwchllyn and the rest of the trains for the day.

Chris B and timmydunn like this.
  6. Stokerpro

Stokerpro New Member

Hi All Just a reminder that Diana is being launched this Saturday 14th May 2016 at The Bala Lake Railway. Starts at 10.30 first train 11.00

Her first solo passenger service in her 99 year life and her first scheduled passenger service.

Attached Files:

• 084.JPG
      084.JPG
      File size:
      1.6 MB
      Views:
    andrewshimmin likes this.
  7. Baldwin

Baldwin Guest

....better than new...excellent job...

8. NGChrisW

NGChrisW New Member

Her first solo passenger service in her 99 year life and her first scheduled passenger service.[/QUOTE]

Might "split hairs " re her appearances on passenger trains at the VoR Gala not being "scheduled", (They were certainly "timetabled" though definitely not solo), but yes, she certainly is a credit to all involved in her restoration and I look forward to seeing her in action at Bala at some point in the future.
    Hope the weather is good tomorrow too as that isn't the ideal cab to be in if the weather turns a bit "welsh", (I refer in particular to the tendency for rain to "fall" horizontally!) although its a definite step up from Alice or Winifred I guess.

A pity her sister is so inaccessible and unlikely ever to run again, although when I visited Walvis Bay a few years back, the plastic glazing in the "greenhouse" that she is displayed in was so opaque that it was only just possible to make out that there was a loco in there! So you could probably sneak the loco out and leave a cardboard mock up behind and nobody would be any the wiser......

Chris

9. Stokerpro

Stokerpro New Member

A fantastic day was had at Bala for Diana's rededication last Saturday 14th May, the weather was glorious, the speeches brief and the food superb !

On Monday 16th May she pulled a photo charter special again in wonderful weather with a selectin of wagons.

Lots of pictures can be found on the Diana facebook page. KS1158 / 1917 "Diana" www.facebook.com/groups/247533388763708/

Hope you enjoy.

10. Stokerpro

Stokerpro New Member

Might "split hairs " re her appearances on passenger trains at the VoR Gala not being "scheduled", (They were certainly "timetabled" though definitely not solo), but yes, she certainly is a credit to all involved in her restoration and I look forward to seeing her in action at Bala at some point in the future.
    Hope the weather is good tomorrow too as that isn't the ideal cab to be in if the weather turns a bit "welsh", (I refer in particular to the tendency for rain to "fall" horizontally!) although its a definite step up from Alice or Winifred I guess.

A pity her sister is so inaccessible and unlikely ever to run again, although when I visited Walvis Bay a few years back, the plastic glazing in the "greenhouse" that she is displayed in was so opaque that it was only just possible to make out that there was a loco in there! So you could probably sneak the loco out and leave a cardboard mock up behind and nobody would be any the wiser......

Chris[/QUOTE]

Always up for a good hair splitting !!

The V of R trains were "specials."

Yes your comments on the cab are spot on, so far it has proven most useful as a sun shade !! However having worked on the Talyllyn for 35 years I am well versed on the wonders of the Welsh liquid sunshine, I well remember trying to keep out of the way as the hail was driven sideways through the cab leaving Pendre on one occasion.

I am planning a visit in a couple of months to Walvis Bay, thanks for the warning, I am now prepared to be disappointed with the photo opportunities.

Hope you enjoy the Bala Lake Railway, they are a very friendly bunch.

11. NGChrisW

NGChrisW New Member

Well having checked and discovered it is in fact nearly 12 years since I was in Walvis Bay it's possible that the situation may have improved since then. I wish you luck!
    Chris

12. Stokerpro

Stokerpro New Member

Hi all.

Diana is on tour for the first half of this year, she has already been to Statfold Barn and Beamish and is now at the Ffestiniog Railway for their Quirks 2 event on 28th April - 1st May where she will be working a number of passenger shuttles and demonstration freight trains.

She then moves to Apedale in Stoke, returning to steam in the place of her birth, for the Kerr Stuart get together when she will be working with other Kerr Stuart locos Stanhope - Tattoo Class, Joffre - Uummmm Joffre Class ! and Roger & Jennie - Wren Class. Probably the first time these types of locomotive have been seen together since they were built at the California Works in Stoke on Trent.

Corbs likes this.
  13. Sidmouth

Sidmouth Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Moderator

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer