If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Kerr, Stuart information/Pictures

Discussion in 'Narrow Gauge Railways' started by SteamBen, Jul 4, 2011.

1. SteamBen

SteamBen New Member

Machinist/fitter
    Does anyone have any information and/or photos of Kerr, Stuarts Haig and Joffre class locos? i'm researching for a project and I'm trying to gather some picture of these locomotives during their working lives. I have Frank Jux's Kerr, Stuart works list and 'The Kerry Tramway' (Cox/Krupa) which have provided works numbers/customers and a couple of picture here and there. I'm more interested in the 2 Haigs which worked at the Air Minisrtry, Stamford (3117/1918) and the Ministry of Munitions, Chepstow (3118/1918). 3117 for those who don't know is still in existence as 'Sgt. Murphy' on the Teifi Valley Railway and is the only haig in the UK.
    As I mentioned though, any photos would be great,
    Ta.

2. Old Kent Biker

Old Kent Biker Member

ex IT Consultant
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
  3. rusty_project

rusty_project New Member

The Moseley Railway Trust's Jofffre (w/n 3014) is well on course for completion & is expected to be a major draw at the Apedale Valley Light Railway's "Made in Staffordshire" Gala. (10/1th September)

We have gone to great lengths to restore the loco to as close to original ex-works/French Artillery condition as possible - www.mrt.org.uk. Watch this space for more details - a must for any Kerr Stuart or Joffre fan! (other fans always welcome)

There were 70 Joffres bult. In anticipation of a further order, Kerr Stuart laid-in store a number of parts - including wheels, cylinders, etc. The expected order never came & post-war, Kerr Stuart decided to come up with simple loco to utilise the stock of parts - thus the Haig was born. The general design was very similar to the Joffre - but no well tank & the super structure differed.

Cheers,
    Gareth

4. Penrhynman

Penrhynman New Member

The Penrhyn Railway Society have a number of photographs of Sgt Murphy in the quarry. Details of the rolling over accident in the 1930s were published in their journal, Y Llechen/The Slate a while ago.

You state that you want photographs and info for a project. Will it be published? Copyright raises its head when publication as opposed to private use is intended.

Once this is known, I may be able to help you.

Penrhynman

5. SteamBen

SteamBen New Member

Machinist/fitter
    I'm toying with the idea of writing a book about the joffre & haig class locos. I thought it'd be best to see how much info I can gather first before commiting to the idea, It doesn't make sense to write a book if I can only get a couple of paragraphs and one photo.

6. Seraphim

Seraphim New Member

Engineer
    No I do not currently volunteer
    If you do, please talk to us at Moseley. We may be interested in publishing it.

7. SteamBen

SteamBen New Member

Machinist/fitter
    I'd better get on with it then! :)

8. 48DL

48DL Member

You better look at E-bay item 260819647264 !!!!!

Don't get too excited nephew

9. richards

richards Part of the furniture

No I do not currently volunteer
  10. rusty_project

rusty_project New Member

Sorry to cause disapointment - this eBay item is a Decauville. It is this type that gave rise to the specification for the "Joffre".
    Quite a few differences, but the biggest visual one is that these had a conventional chimney & the "Joffres" carried "balloon stack" type spark arrestor chimney's from new & throughout their French Military service.
    G.

11. 48DL

48DL Member

B##ger!!!!

12. Wingatui

Wingatui New Member

There are two Haighs preserved in New Zealand, One at Motat in Auckland, the other at Ocean Beach railway in Dunedin. The OBR loco is currently out of service awaiting replacement of several tubes. If interested can supply photographs and histories.

13. RGCorris

RGCorris Member

The Haig at MOTAT (KS 4183) spent some years on display outside a Macdonalds in Paraparaumu near Wellington. http://www.flickr.com/photos/deeargee/6949448710/
    I saw it in January this year inside the loco shed at MOTAT and although there are long-term plans to return it to steam it is currently a low priority.
    Both the Haigs in NZ are 3'6" gauge (the NZ standard gauge) and look a lot more stable than the 2' gauge versions in the UK - Sergeant Murphy rolled over during its time at Penrhyn Quarry.

As you probably know, Joffre was a French military leader during the Great War, and Haig was his British equivalent, hence Kerr Stuart's Anglicising the name of their modified class after the War.

Richard