If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

John Bunch & his locos currently based on the Mid Hants

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by Tom Desmond, Dec 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tom Desmond

Tom Desmond New Member

Wondered if anyone new what the plan is for these locos currently based at Ropley?
    Think the list is:
    34016 - Bodmin
    & 31625

has anyone got the appropriate space for these?

Tom

2. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I think that you have little chance of any meaningful news on the future for these locos until it actually happens.

3. martin butler

martin butler Part of the furniture

They are under an agreement that keeps them at the MHR until 2014, after that its down to the owner what he wishes to do with them, there has been no news about his intensions from Mr Bunch , only rumour on the grapevine, as the above posts states, nothing can be announced until the agreement expires and and only then can future possible homes be found.

where ever these engines end up, they are in need of work, only 31806 is in ticket and the rest need overhauls, some will need less than others . the N class for instance is totally shot , Bodmin could be returned to traffic quite quickly i believe the boiler is still good, as is the 5MT, the other U,31625 is good mechanically but needs extensive boiler work , someone who is still at ropley could probally give you a more up to date report on the condition of these engines

4. Reading General

Reading General Part of the furniture

I was there the day the N passed its first steam test at Alresford. :-(

5. nine elms fan

nine elms fan Part of the furniture

Retired
    No I do not currently volunteer
    I know there has been problems in the past between the owner and the railway as has been well documented, surely an agreement could be reached regarding the engines staying where they are, time for both sides to bite their lips and try to compromise............

6. cct man

cct man Part of the furniture

CONSTRUCTION
    There are some that it is difficult to compromise with though I am not saying which side that is>

Chris:

7. nanstallon

nanstallon Part of the furniture

Retired
    The Mid Hants is surely the most suitable location for ex LSWR / Southern locos; it is to be hoped that the acrimony of the past can be overcome. Presumably they did negotiate between themselves the arrangement for the locos to stay till 2014. A bit more jaw jaw instead of war war?

8. nanstallon

Retired
    P.S.

Failing that, I expect that the Swanage Railway would be interested in gaining the services of these locos. Of course, they aren't mine and this matter can only be left to the owner and whatever railway he wants to talk to!

9. Jamessquared

Jamessquared Nat Pres stalwart

Possibly, though I suspect the Swanage Railway may have some feelings about their own suitability as an ex-LSWR line. But in any case, none of the locos concerned is ex-LSWR! Of the list given, one is a BR Standard, one is a Bulleid (pure SR) and the other three are SR, but derived from ex-SECR locos (the U Boats) or SR to a pure SECR design (the N). So I am not quite sure what the LSWR connection has to do with it!

Tom

10. nanstallon

Retired
    Apologies for historical inaccuracy. As a Plymouth boy in the early 60s, I associated the N class with the LSWR because they worked on the ex LSWR lines in the Westcountry. I stand corrected.

11. Hampshire Unit

Hampshire Unit Well-Known Member Friend

Carer, Gardener
    If you look at the Mid Hants restoration queue, there are a number of engines that are effectively replacement locos for JBs - the Standard 4 -6-0 owned by the MHRPS is a swap for 73096, Freddy Pile for Bodmin (and we also have CanPac as a rebuilt Bulleid example) 76017 operationally is a good replacement for 31806. It will be sad to see the SR Moguls go though. The Bluebell would be a logical place for the N of course, no idea at all if that is a possiblity. The two Us are good locos (although I seem to recall 31625 hd fairly major boiler problems, and do I remember talk of a twisted frame??) and it would be nice to see them on a Southern line, perhaps the Spa Valley might be interested as the Bluebell already has this class represented?
    73096 was a great mainline loco, perhaps Mr Hosking might be interested?
    All my own thoughts, no insider information here!

12. Jamessquared

The Ns were certainly associated with the "withered arm", though they were widely used elsewhere on the Southern. When I open my planned preservation scheme from Barnstaple to Ilfracombe (complete with L&B interchange...) then we'll certainly need an N for banking purposes out of Ilfracombe ;)

Tom

13. Duty Druid

Duty Druid Resident of Nat Pres

I think the fact that John Bunch is banned from the MHR says it all....................................... any bridges that were left standing have all been burnt.

As far as the MHR is concerned, as soon as the agreement is up, the loco's go......................... to where who knows, the standard five and Bodmin are rumoured to be going to Carnforth........................... the N as a possible static exhibit at the NRM.............. and the remainder? Who would want to take them on? All but the U are buckets of rust................................ and will need a hell of a lot of work before they steam again.............................................................

14. Andy2857

Andy2857 Member

Following it's visit this year, I can't imagine there are many members of the SVR's operations dept that wouldn't like a U Boat. I realise there are more historically suitable lines for the class, but then again you could say a schools has no place in yorkshire and yet few would argue that "Repton" is now as much an NYMR loco as it was anything else.

15. guard_jamie

guard_jamie Part of the furniture

Signalman
    You mean there aren't many members that wouldn't like a U Boat! It fitted in beautifully at the gala, and perfectly powered too, I'd be glad to see it resident on the line.

16. Jamessquared

U Boats are fantastic locos, and absolutely ideal in size, complexity and power for most preserved lines. I know given the choice between 1638 or a WC/BB, I know if I am rostered on 1638 I am going to have a more pleasant day...

As for the N class: it would be lovely to have it on a preserved railway; it is certainly a significant omission from the Maunsell Society fleet. However, I can also see the logic of the NRM wanting a loco like that: it was a very early (the first?) example of a general type that became prevelant in the UK: two cylinder, simple expansion, outside valve gear, taper boiler, long valve travel and high running plate to make everything "get-at-able", as Maunsell termed it. In effect, a prototype for the model that became the BR Standards 35 years before the BR standards were designed. Indeed, had things panned out differently, maybe the N class would have become a UK Standard design during World War 1. It also represents a general loco class that is poorly represented in the NRM, which is to say the general purpose, humdrum type; a loco whose significance is precisely because it is not individually significant or famous. So teh interpretation story that could be told round an N class is considerable.

All speculation of course: none of us know (I suspect) what will actually happen to those locos.

Tom

17. David-Haggar

David-Haggar Member

Water Meter Reader
    I'm sure I can remember being told that the MLS did try and buy 31874 from John Bunch a few years ago and failed which is why they subsequently bought Stowe. Can anyone more in the know confirm this?

18. Lingus

Lingus New Member

But what would depart to make space for it? Remember; one on - one off.

19. cct man

cct man Part of the furniture

CONSTRUCTION
    I think it was the other way round David in that JB offered to sell 31874 AND one of the U=Boats tp the MLS but the deal fell through.

Regards
    Chris:

20. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    Whilst knowing a bit about the JB/MHR affair but, without doubt, not the whole story, one thing I can't really understand is why the locos are effectively stuck on the MHR until the agreement expires. Surely, if there is no intention of using them, it would be advantageous for both the MHR to let them go and JB to move them elsewhere/sell them on and early termination of the agreement the sensible option.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.