If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Issue 123 (what happened to Issue 122?)

Discussion in 'Heritage Railway' started by 42296, Apr 30, 2009.

1. 42296

42296 New Member Account Suspended

No postings on the Heritage Railway section since March 2nd. Remarkable!!
    Surely all the usual moaning suspects have not given up and crawled back under their stones?
    Well, actually, the product does seem to have improved. But why, oh why, can't the publishers start using some better paper to print it on? The middle pages of my copy of Issue No 123 (containing that superb double-page spread of 45407 at Cowburn) parted company with the inadequate stapling as soon as I folded the mag outwards in order to read more comfortably during a journey on an extremely crowded 'Pacer' unit.
    That cr*p paper must surely also contribute to a degree to the ongoing problematical colour rendition and certainly does the otherwise excellent photographs and articles no favours whatsoever. I thought these problems had been resolved. Apparently not!

2. dalrypaul

dalrypaul Guest

The good thing about Heritage Railway is that when I see a red Scot or 8F in there, I assume it's just the usual reproduction problem and that it was probably black or green in reality. If we all read HR exclusively, it could potentially save hours of livery debates, as we'd be none the wiser after reading. :) They really don't seem to have improved, the colours are all over the place, which is a shame as the photography is usually excellent. I don't know if this is related to the paper quality, or if it arises elsewhere in the process. I've seen some interesting examples over the years, with images appearing as though there are two identical images on top of one another, but shifted by a few pixels; very strange effect. It's a good magazine, but IMHO is really let down by the reproduction.

3. Ann Clark

Ann Clark Member

I have never had the problem that you 2 are talking about. My problem with this issue is that they have photos of all the visiting engines at WSR gala save 6695. I know that she is not a large tender engine but she went up the banks quiet happily with 8 on! I would have thought that was worth at least a small picture on the article about the gala. ](*,)

4. Stepney32655

Stepney32655 New Member Account Suspended

Grave-digger
    With 8 on, I would have thought that 6695 would have been anything but "quiet"!

On the subject of "cr*p" quality paper, etc., after several readings of each issue (yes, much of it is worth re-reading later on, unlike some mags I could mention!), the centre pages have parted company on nearly all of my H.R. back issues.

That is the one major significant criteria for me in browsing at the WHS Reading Room before parting with hard-earned cash. Value for money doesn't necessarily always relate directly to what is written on the pages! Of the other older magazines that I have kept - these dating back as far as a few 1957 'Trains Illustrated's and some nearly as old 'Railway World's - these have been gotten down from the loft on innumerable occasions over the decades, but after being read from cover to cover yet one more time, they still remain in almost pristine condition.

Those articles charting the building of 'Tornado', the many others documenting the 40th Anniversary of the End of Steam, and the numerous other developments in the 'turn of the century' steam-scene, each producede landmark historical productions in their own right and to which very many of us would wish to refer in the years to come, so the question really has to be asked: How much extra would it actually cost to produce something really worthwhile .... that will remain in good enough condition for any of us to want to keep?

5. std tank

std tank Part of the furniture

Retired
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    In the article about 46100 it states that 46106 retained straight smoke deflectors throughout its B.R. life. This statement is incorrect. When rebuilt in 1949 it was fitted with normal "Scot" deflectors. The B.R. Standard style deflectors were fitted in 1954 as an experiment. These were retained until withdrawal in 1962.

6. 42296

42296 New Member Account Suspended

Acting on a tip-off from a friend, I found time yesterday at the 'WHS Reading Room' to flick through one of the other 'also rans' that I normally don't bother with. A publication going by the name of 'Railways Illustrated' is one of many on the shelves that I usually tend to pass over, as my understanding was that this was yet another of those that tend to concentrate on the modern-day image with its totally uninspiring and bland motive power.

Nevertheless, once inside, I came to discover, to my intense surprise, several pages of rather excellent steam pictures. I was impressed!

With a noticeably more substantial and glossier cover, the thickness and quality of the paper used for the pages within was far, far higher in quality than those offered by any of the supposed 'market leaders.

Therefore, to the editors of the latter three titles, might I respectfully be permitted to offer a timely message .... watch out, many of your existing customers will eventually tend to go elsewhere if, in terms of paper quality, you continue to offer such a decidely sub-standard product!!

7. arthur maunsell

arthur maunsell Well-Known Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    being large and having a tender behind (???) has nothing to do with being powerfull...6695 and her sisters are well capable of prodigous haulage feats over short and medium distances.

8. simon

simon Resident of Nat Pres

um if that is not moaning I'm not sure what Is....shakes his head and walks away.

9. Umseke

Umseke New Member

I don't understand why this comment includes the second 'Quote', am I missing something ? A person buying the product, in this case a magazine, expects a certain level of quality but finds it is not provided, you seem to suggest their reaction is 'moaning' and misplaced. So, I have all sorts of sub-standard rubbish I can sell you to maximise my profit, sounds a good deal to me, would you like the list ?

10. simon

simon Resident of Nat Pres

because when I complained about the poor quality of the reproduction and paper used by by Heritage railway I was rounded on by the usual suspects for "moaning" to put it mildly.

11. Umseke

Umseke New Member

Okay, yes I had missed something, in line with my previous comment I totally agree with you, can't find an 'I shake your hand' smiley !

12. hughesfowler

hughesfowler Member

I think that I had not posted recently about the quality as I felt it was mainly myself and other people I have spoke to thought it was ok. I have not seen the latest issue yet but the last one with the two black 5s at Cowburn was totally awfull as far as reproduction is concerned. I have seen a print that Alan Castle did of the two 5s and it wa spot on. If I was Alan and saw that disgrace of a reproduction, yes it was that bad, I would be mortified. Regrettably the repro in steam railway was not that good either in last issue. But as I have said before at least when criticism is raised on this forum about sr the editor at least tries to answer the queries.

Now then whilst some of my friends think it is ok in heritage I personally will not buy it until they get it right. Why is Mr R Jones not prepared to answer these queries on this forum, I have asked this before and still no response. So come on hr the people on this forum do buy your magazine so why are your organisation turning out such utter rubbish. If you feel its the photographers repro the speak to them, but I think you will find it is not , as previously mentioned.

The paper quality also is not that good, is that what causes the problems ? also what mystifies me is that Old Glory is a amortons media publicxation and yet in there everyting is always spot on. If nobody has seen that magazine then check out the difference in quality, its incredible how good it is.

Some may see this as a personal dig at HR but trust me it is not, one person in the past sent me apm sugessting if I thought I could do better then send in some of your own. Well I do and have had pics published , I also personally know a lot of the photographers who have works published in hr and get to see the originals, trust me they are spot on

So Mr jones its over to you, have the decency to come on this forum and respond to your buyers criticisms.

13. 23E

23E Member