If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Isle of Wight Steam Railway Spring Gala - 14th-15th May 2022

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by Islander, Apr 21, 2022.

1. Islander

Islander Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    This is a great weekend to visit the Island - the IWSR Spring Gala, the Isle of Wight Bus & Coach Museum's Rydabus event and an opportunity to ride the Island Lines new Class 484 trains...

4 locomotives in steam each day. Engines change after each round trip. Flagship loco W24 Calbourne resplendent in Southern Railway malachite livery, Ivatt 2MTs 41298 and 41313, plus Hunslet 'Austerity' WD198 Royal Engineer. Our Havenstreet Real Ale Bar will be open throughout the weekend.

On Saturday there's an opportunity to ride on board the newly rebuilt, HRA award winning, Drewry Railcar No 2 - the Ryde Pier Tram. Shuttles between Havenstreet and Wootton at regular intervals between 17.50 and 20.20. With room for only 20 passengers, and panoramic windows at either end, you'll enjoy a unique experience with a driver's eye view along the line. The Real Ale bar and refreshments will be open at Havenstreet station.

Our gala weekend coincides with the Rydabus event organised by the Isle of Wight Bus & Coach Museum. Buy a programme online and use it to travel on a variety of vintage buses and coaches. See www.rydabus.co.uk for further information.

For more details visit the IWSR Website

2. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Visited this delightful little railway on Sunday.

It's a bit like the Spa Valley on steroids that takes 'hop on hop off' to a new level. Despite the wall to wall rain it was a delight and the loco roster made it easy to pick up all four if you wanted to. A big thumbs up for a delicious lunch and the facilities at Havenstreet were superb.

No steam pictures to share. We all know what an Ivatt and an O2 look like. For me the star of the show was the rolling stock. Having not visited the line for longer than I'd care to admit it really was an eye opener to see what they have done across the water. Bluebell - eat your heart out!

20220515_130327.jpg