If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Isle of Wight Steam Railway Carriage and Wagon updates

Discussion in 'Heritage Rolling Stock' started by gwalkeriow, Jul 28, 2011.

1. gwalkeriow

gwalkeriow Well-Known Member

Retired.
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    The latest Carriage and Wagon update is available

http://www.iwsteamrailway.co.uk/news/carriage-a-wagon-news.html

2. Moggy Minor Kev

Moggy Minor Kev New Member

Self employed Hertiage Transport Engineer
    cheers for the mention gary :)

3. kesr

kesr Member

Owner
    carry on the good work

4. gwalkeriow

Retired.
  5. gwalkeriow

Retired.
  6. cav1975

cav1975 Member

7. gwalkeriow

Retired.
  8. OldChap

OldChap Member

No I do not currently volunteer
    WIth news concerning some ex-Chipman's SR bogie vans from Horsham and a Maunsell underframe reoprtedly being sold to the IoWSR by the Bluebell is it intended to start rebuilding the LCDR bogie carriages to create a new vintage set for the line?

9. gwalkeriow

Retired.
    OldChap "With news concerning some ex-Chipman's SR bogie vans from Horsham and a Maunsell underframe reoprtedly being sold to the IoWSR by the Bluebell is it intended to start rebuilding the LCDR bogie carriages to create a new vintage set for the line?"

Yes it is the intention to use the Ex Chipmans SR bogie vans with the LCDR bogie carriages. The 2 Chipmans vans plus the bogie van already at Havenstreet will allow the IOWSR to rebuild both LCDR bogie brakes 4115/4116 and 7 compartment 3rd 2418. It might take a few years to achieve though
    A possible fourth vehcle could be a LSWR composite which is presently still in holiday chalet use. That would give a second bogie set with all vehicles being pre 1900!

10. MuzTrem

MuzTrem Member

Were any LSWR coaches used on the Island?

11. OldChap

OldChap Member

Thats fantastic news, I always thought that a BR steel short GUV/Suburban non corridor u/f using BR1 bogies would be the easiest instead of tring to recreate (if it was possible and H&S passed) the wooden u/f's and replica Fox plate bogies.

I look forword to seeing these coaches on proper SR running gear :)

I did read (on the IoWSR website?) that another LDCR bogie body exists in store, or maybe several bits that could make up a body, is that correct?

Also without giving any confidential information away about the LSWR body can you say what dia number or coach number it is? and now the purchase of that LSWR u/f back several years ago makes good sence.

I really must pay a visit to the IoWSR when I am next back in the UK.

12. gwalkeriow

Retired.
    MuzTrem "Were any LSWR coaches used on the Island?"

Yes they were; 6 brake 3rds, 3 composites and 9 passenger guards vans all of which were bogie vehicles. They arrived in 1923 after the SR had reviewed the state of the islands coaching stock. The coaches were withdrawn 1939/42 and the vans in the early 1950s. At least 2 of the coaches survive as chalets.

13. MuzTrem

MuzTrem Member

Thanks for that, I only asked as I've only ever seen LBSCR and SECR coaches in photos. However, if the LSWR stock was withdrawn before nationalisation than that's not surprising!

14. gwalkeriow

Retired.

We have 2 complete 5 compartment brake 3rds 4115 and 4116. We also have the 2 halves of 2418 which is a 7 compartment 3rd, to complete the picture we have a couple of part bodies from 3rds. They could be used to create another 3rd or combined with a new section to create a composite.

The LSWR composite is one of three that came to the island, the island numbers were 6384-6.

The LBSCR 3rd number 2403 is already on a SR bogie B underframe. The body of 2403 is 48ft in length as against 50 for the bogie B underframe, the body has been lengthened by 2ft to fit the underframe. This has enabled one compartment to be fitted with hidden extra doors to provide wheelchair access.

There are a number of treasures still in use as chalets on the island including a number of Metropolitan 8 wheelers at St Helens. They would be an interesting propostion, wooden underframes and ridgid 8 wheelers!

15. stephenvane

stephenvane Member

[quoteThe LSWR composite is one of three that came to the island, the island numbers were 6384-6.[/quote]

So has this coach been offered to the railway, or is it just a case of would be nice to have if it became available?

16. gwalkeriow

Retired.
    It is one that would be classed as good to have when it becomes available. Sometimes we have to wait patiently for a numbers of years before our interest pays off.

17. stephenvane

stephenvane Member

I would have thought that the supply of grounded coach bodies on the island would be drying up by now, but these gems still seem to keep turning up!

So after 2403 is complete, what is the next restoration to be tackled?

18. OldChap

OldChap Member

Gary - Thanks for the update.

So I dug out some of my books stored in the garage and found the Oakwood Press IoW steam passenger rolling stock book and read up a little on above coaches.

The 2 brake thirds are 48ft 8in long, I hope you can build a 7 compartment composite which would also be 48' 8" and finally 2418 is 40ft - So with SR Bogie B vans u/f being 50' are you planning to shorten the u/fs to fit of enlarge the LCDR bodies to fit as in 2403?, reducing 10' off a u/f for 2418 must be a engineering challenge.

Also as the Maunsell u/f's would have (if not still equipped) with vacuum braking systems, is there any plan to duel brake these so that visiting engines to the IoW could haul the rake without one of the resident engines on the train also?

The LSWR composite has got to be either 6384 or 6386 as it look like 6385's body was grounded outside Newport shed and not sold on.

I hope there is further LSWR coach bodies on the island for you to recover.

19. gwalkeriow

Retired.
    The next restoration will be a 4wheel LBSCR brake 3rd 4115, yes it is the same number as one of the LCDR brake 3rds! The LCDR bogie coach was the replacement for the LBSCR 4wheeler when it was withdrawn.

Our guards are going to be mighty confused when they are both eventually in service.

20. gwalkeriow

Retired.
    The 2 brake thirds are 48' 8'' over buffers but only 45' over the body., so yes the underframes will have to be shortened by 5'. You are correct 2418 is only 40' so the underframe will need to be reduced in length by 10' A difficult but not impossible task. We will be modifing a PMV underframe for the next 4wheel restoration by reducing its length by 4' 6'' this will be the 7th PMV to have the same modification.

Dual braking is not something that we have considered but you never know it could happen one day.

Something that some people do not realise is that apart from 2403 every one of our coaches that are in traffic and all of the grounded bodies ran on the Island. We are probably the only standard guage railway that can use its original rolling stock with original Locos on the original line.