If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Isle of Wight Loco roster question for 19th / 20th May

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by ChuffChuff, May 16, 2009.

1. ChuffChuff

ChuffChuff Member

CEO
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Hi all,

I'm currently on holiday on the Isle of Wight, and plan a trip to the railway on either Tuesday or Wednesday.

Does anyone know what locos are rostered? The website has a timetable, but not a roster.

I'd love to see one of the older locos.

Obviously I apprecate that nothing can be assured in a world of failures and unexpected events, but any pointers would be really appreciated.

Thanks,

Neil.

2. horace

horace Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
    I would suggest a phone call to the railway.They have been quite helpful in the past when I have phoned them.

Have a good visit.

3. Islander

Islander Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
    W38 'Ajax' is on the roster for those days, subject to the unforseen. 'Ajax' is an old locomotive, built in 1918, although I assume that your definition of old is the O2 or Terriers, none of which are currently in service. The good news is that W8 'Freshwater' is due an 'in steam' bolier inspection and will hopefully be back in traffic soon.

If you can hold off your visit until the Sunday and Bank Holiday Monday of next weekend (24/25 May), the IWSR is hosting the 'Bustival' (a pun on the 'Bestival', an IOW pop festival), a celebration of 80 years of Southern Vectis - the Island's local bus company. There should be up to 35 vintage buses at Havenstreet, a two-train service with WD198 'Royal Engineer' and W37 'Invincible' and, perhaps of greater significance, our Real Ale Bar will be in operation.

Full details can be found at http://www.iwsteamrailway.co.uk