If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Island Line under threat

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by Shaggy, Jul 24, 2015.

1. M59137

M59137 Well-Known Member

Carriage & Wagon
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    If they follow Isle of Wight tradition they will send twice as many as they need, so that the fleet can be whittled down slowly over the next 30 years and used for spares! Joking aside it's a model that's worked well for the 38 stock, I take my hat off to the guys (whoever they are) who have run those things for so long. Ryde Works, take a bow!

Sent from my HTC U Play using Tapatalk

Jamessquared and gwalkeriow like this.
  2. johnofwessex

johnofwessex Part of the furniture

Thorn in my managers side
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Perhaps there needs to be some sort of award for the staff - or a TV programme about them

sem34090 and jnc like this.
  3. martin1656

martin1656 Resident of Nat Pres Friend

The Workshop staff at St Johns are I would say past masters at eking out remaining life out of stock that elsewhere has long been sent on its final trip to the scrappers , even in steam days, they must have worked wonders on what by then was stock and loco's that were on their last legs with limited spares .I can remember reading about the troubles the fitters has on the standard stock with corrosion only a few years after being exposed to the elements and Ryde pier , mostly because in London, the units didn't get subjected to an salt laden wash every day .

4. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    Nothing unusual in that. The heritage railway movement has been doing it for nigh on seventy years with a modicum of success.

oddsocks and Jamessquared like this.
  5. 2392

2392 Member

I can but echo Steve' remark. Adding that many industrial outfits were the same, you just have to look to some of colliery lines round both Steve and my way [both of us living in former coal mining areas], at some of the really ancient locos that lasted up to the sixties......... That is until the advent of cheap brand new second hand ex British Rail Class 14s round my way. The 14s took over on both the Ashington and Lambton systems, as well as down south in the iron stone quarries and Corby Steel works in Northamptonshire.

Last edited: May 16, 2019
    Jamessquared likes this.
  6. Jamessquared

Jamessquared Nat Pres stalwart

I think the aisle of Wight must be somewhat unusual in being an entire passenger-carrying system that has been run on a “make do and mend” basis for the entire 150 years of its existence!

Tom

jnc, gwalkeriow, 30854 and 2 others like this.
  7. 2392

2392 Member

True, Tom. Though bear in mind that the Ashington Coal Company [as was pre-nationalisation] and it's successor the National Coal Board operated [admittedly not a public one] passenger service for their staff.

8. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    The ailse of Wight? In which ecclesiastical building can I find this? :)

Jamessquared likes this.
  9. Jamessquared

Jamessquared Nat Pres stalwart

Must be the current ecclesiastical choral weekend we are enjoying has been picked up by my phone’s auto correct!

Tom

Spamcan81 and 35B like this.
  10. martin1656

martin1656 Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Isn't that the heavenly version of the Wight railway's , where the closures on the Island never happened , where the tourist still runs, where the lazy sound of an panting air pump echo's over the sun kissed countryside, and the wind rustles the leaves on the trees ?

sem34090, gwalkeriow and CH 19 like this.
  11. paulhitch

paulhitch Part of the furniture

Still does.

ghost, sem34090 and gwalkeriow like this.
  12. 30854

30854 Part of the furniture

Retired
    ..... as highlighted when the original BoT inspection in 1872 refused permission for the first completed section of the Isle of Wight Newport Jnc Railway (the Sandown to Newport line) to operate, due to the company's 'economy measure' of laying second-hand ex-LWSR double headed rail - upside down - the resulting running surface of which was, unsurprisingly, not remotely up to scratch. This, together with said rails being cut as short as 16ft - but not uniquely so - much of it with inadequate fishplates (plus managing to bankrupt a contractor along the way!), delayed opening of (most of) the line until 1875. Construction of the short tunnel at Pan Lane prevented completion of the through route, until 1879.

A second-hand ex-LSWR 2-2-2t (apparently rebuilt from an early 2-2-0 tender loco), purchased by the same company, was none too good an investment either .... although they could boast three of the very few new-bought carriages ever to grace the succeeding Isle of Wight Central Rly!

sem34090 likes this.