If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Island Line under threat

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by Shaggy, Jul 24, 2015.

1. gwalkeriow

gwalkeriow Well-Known Member

Retired.
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    sem34090 likes this.
  2. cav1975

cav1975 Member

Like everything else to do with government decision making this seems to have been postponed.........

Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
  3. martin1656

martin1656 Resident of Nat Pres Friend

No I do not currently volunteer
    I dare say Failing Grayling has his eyes om other problems, completely of his own parties making of course, such as what the hell do we do now to placate his more rabid party members, as meanwhile, hard pressed rail users get fleeced, trains are either over crowded, if they turn up, or they don't turn up, TOC's because of his policies over DOO.
    Meanwhile , back on Island Line lets hope they finally get the newer trains they deserve and the much needed upgrades of permanent way that should see its future settled now for the next 20 years.

andrewshimmin likes this.
  4. Christopher125

Christopher125 Part of the furniture

Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
  5. gwalkeriow

gwalkeriow Well-Known Member

Retired.
  6. 30854

30854 Part of the furniture

Retired
    ...... come the end of March. :Meh:

7. martin1656

When the infrastructure lease expires, does that mean that NR take on full responsibility for the maintaince of the line, or is there a get out clause that in effect would allow NR to say its not cost effective to do whats desired and throws it back to SWR ,Who then have to agree a new lease, or continue with a patch and mend policy?

8. Christopher125

Some good news while we wait for a DfT decision on SWR's 'costed option' - work on Ryde Pier is confirmed in Network Rail's plans for CP6:

"We will be repairing historic Ryde Pier on the Isle of Wight, a crucial piece of economic infrastructure, which links ferry services from the mainland to rail services on the island"

Bluenosejohn and Shaggy like this.
  9. martin1656

That's a good start, and its very nearly April, so hopefully the future of Island line can be settled and funding put in place, i'm just hoping Grayling hasn't decided to offer Island Line to a railway company with no trains and has never ran a railway before i'm waiting for Network rail to rebuild the pier platforms centre roads with double cross over " by accident"

10. Christopher125

Some interesting tweets by gauging professional Gareth Dennis: https://twitter.com/GarethDennis/status/1121055592171356161

"...the dynamically modelled Class 230 vehicles "fit" (i.e. can be gauge-cleared) without a problem.... A little cosy here and there, but the only thing stopping them running is the Solent!"

"The tunnel is flatly not an issue. Platform gauging always requires a bit of work, and there are two minor overbridges that get tight enough to warrant a closer look, but not a thing that would worry me, and I have to live and breathe this stuff."

CH 19 likes this.
  11. martin1656

Its never been under any doubt that 230's are the most likily replacement to the tube stock, and the battery option will save money on renewing the 3rd rail, as all that's needed are a short section of energised rail either at pier head, or Shanklin and overnight recharging facilities at the depot again, this could be achieved by a live rail with in the station and depot at St Johns .

CH 19 and Miff like this.
  12. philw2

philw2 Member

It says in Wikipedia the class 230's only need 8 minutes to charge up so u just plug it in at Shanklin and Ryde and Bob's yr uncle.. then use the diesel engine to top up en-route.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

13. martin1656

if the timetable is a 00=30 clock face will there be time at Shanklin for a recharge? at the moment the lay over time is very short and the battery unit is a pure battery only vehicle, unless the production electric battery will be a hybrid power source vehicle?

14. philw2

philw2 Member

Perhaps u don't need a full charge if it's downhill from Shanklin..

15. philw2

philw2 Member

As I see it, it will be hybrid; except that the on-board diesel engine is a generator and doesn't drive any wheels..

16. Christopher125

There's another interesting comment which suggests SWR are keen to get cracking...

"(and I ran this using data that precedes the recent physical work that "may or may not" have been done to make sure they definitely fit anyway)"

17. sem34090

sem34090 New Member

Gauging aside, if my jaunt (well... it was rather more violent than a jaunt!) down to Shanklin a week or so ago was anything to go by the formation between Smallbrook and Brading has got decidedly worse, and I felt every rail joint down to Sandown. Once realises it's not the stock but the track as the rest of the line is comparatively smooth, the section on the pier especially so.

And I can vouch that my ride to Wootton and back in LBSCR 54ft bogie stock was rather less 'exciting' (nonetheless pleasurable though!) but gave my neck a chance to recover. But then I guess I only have myself to blame for sitting directly above the leading bogie on the '38TS (My travelling companion insisted on it - being rather shorter than I his back was fully supported by the seat so he merely found it an intriguing, fun, novelty!!!) rather in the, probably smoother riding, centre of the car. Sorry to see that there are only three serviceable units left though. :(

It will be a shame when that stock goes, but in order to provide a proper service for Islanders I guess it must. I hope somebody is able to wrangle it that one set remains serviceable on the Island, if only for the occasional 'railtour' of sorts up and down the line. I doubt it though. I just hope they don't let the remaining serviceable units go for scrap though.

Actually... Can we have them for Bognor - Barnham/Littlehampton shuttles please? :p They'd beat a 313 and even more so a 377...

paulhitch likes this.
  18. martin1656

If there are only 3 units available for traffic, then I would imagine SWR would be very keen to get the work started as NR say the pier is due to have work done, so it makes sence to do all the work needed to ensure the 230's can fit where clearances will be tight , hopefully they can remodel esplanade also to ease the walk passengers have to make to catch the hovercraft, a direct cross platform access would make it disabled friendly also,

sem34090 and paulhitch like this.
  19. DcB

DcB New Member

20. martin1656

What size of a fleet will SWR need for Island line? assuming they go for 2 car units I would think at least 5, 3 available for service at any one time, and one under maintaince/ exam and 1 spare .
    It will be interesting to see what SWR go for, will they be off the peg units, , with toilets, PA WIFI etc or bespoke units tailored to SWR'S requirements? I dare say a lot will depend on costs.