If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Island Line under threat

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by Shaggy, Jul 24, 2015.

1. stephenvane

stephenvane Member

The roof of that unit looks quite clean, I remember them being covered in rust last time I was there.

Also interesting to see that First MTR have now branded the units. SWT were always too embrassed to put their name to these ancient trains.

2. gwalkeriow

gwalkeriow Well-Known Member

Retired.
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Only one unit is branded, one other has paint on the roof any others are just rust.

3. martin1656

martin1656 Resident of Nat Pres Friend

No I do not currently volunteer
    Unless i'm mistaken, this must be the unit outshopped last year, when I was over the island in October, the rest were in a poor state of repair only this one unit, has I believed been branded

4. Christopher125

Christopher125 Part of the furniture

006 still looks fresh from last years overhaul and 008 remains presentable - it's 004 letting the side down, but 007 has a fresh coat of paint in the works and will hopefully be back soon?

5. David R

David R Active Member

6. gkerr9623

gkerr9623 New Member

retired
  7. David R

David R Active Member

Seems to imply that it is to avoid renewing the electrical equipment - if you ran them on batteries, presumably it would be possible to retain some of the third rail to use to recharge the batteries - just a thought

David R

8. martin1656

Costs? cheaper to have recharging stations at Shanklin and Ryde pier head than to replace the life expired transformer sub stations , either that or a 3 car duel diesel/ electric hi bred unit, which can switch to battery power , but I'm still not convinced of the treasury agreeing to it, so not out of the woods yet.

paulhitch likes this.
  9. Christopher125

10. martin1656

So the units will fit the tunnel without modifications but with a speed restriction , isn't the tunnel already subject to a 15 mph speed limit ? it will mean a lot of changes and platform work, but once done hopefully several of the restrictions on using non tube stock will be lifted for future renewals

11. SilentHunter86

SilentHunter86 Member

Seems the best option overall to me.

12. martin1656

It should hopefully bring island line up to the same standard expected of railways every where, with passenger information systems and hopefully a better ride than the 38's give, it will be interesting if the battery powered demo unit makes a trip over to the island and undergoes trials especially if network rail put in a temporary connection at Small brook so the unit can under go passenger reaction on the Wotton branch with the line closed to the public, invited guests only, before its tested on the Shanklin Line. the only problem I can see is, will the battery unit have a high enough speed and acceleration to meet the timetabled timing required for island line.

13. damianrhysmoore

damianrhysmoore Well-Known Member

Osteopath
    Careful what you wish for...just like those bemoaning the lack of modern stock in the north not realising how much less comfortable new stock is...It is only when you get passenger intrusion systems that you wish you hadn't - slightly tongue in cheek as well designed systems needn't have incessant announcements that irritate the hell out of one and can provide a benefit especially to the visually impaired

14. toplight

toplight Active Member

In the article it quotes "Class 230s will fit through the tunnel at Ryde, which was previously raised to alleviate flooding issues"

Apparently the raising of the trackbed in Ryde tunnel in the 1960s is one of those things that you often see quoted in articles about the Island railway but it isn't actually true, yet it gets repeated. The tunnel is at the same level it always was in Steam Days and always had limited clearance which is why elderly carriages continued to be used in steam days because they fitted the restricted loading gauge whereas something like a Mark 1 wouldn't have done.

It makes sense really because why go to all the trouble to do so on a line that has clearly had little money spent on it for years. The reason often given to prevent flooding could have been achieved in other ways like with drainage or water pumps etc or just don't run if it floods.

sem34090 and SilentHunter86 like this.
  15. martin1656

I believe the track level inside the tunnel was raised but only by some 18 inches a rebuilt of the tunnel roof increased the overall height to a point where clearances were increased to a point where 230's could now fit, future relaying using slab track with improved drainage could free up even more space. so short term I would think platform heights can be improved and of course meet modern standards as any new platform facings have to comply with whats on the statute now.

sem34090 likes this.
  16. paulhitch

paulhitch Part of the furniture

?

sem34090 likes this.
  17. myford

myford New Member

I think even i know what Martin is referring to. Don't you?

18. paulhitch

paulhitch Part of the furniture

No. There is no such "branch". It is a separate organisation.

sem34090 likes this.
  19. Jamessquared

Jamessquared Nat Pres stalwart

I think you have to read the beginning of the sentence:

"if network rail put in a temporary connection at Small brook"​

Network Rail being well known of course for the alacrity and efficient way in they can achieve such minor infrastructure changes as lay in a connection between two unconnected lines so as to allow a private function for invited guests...

NB - if the IoWSR agreed to host Flying Scotsman for a gala, Network Rail would probably have the connection laid in overnight ;)

Tom

sem34090 likes this.
  20. Christopher125

There's no doubt the track was raised through the tunnel - Maycock & Silsbury in their 'from 1923 onwards' book describe the loading gauge being reduced by 1ft 2½in from 13ft 6 which tallies with photos, drawings etc. This coincides with the appearance of catchpits so was presumably associated with new drainage.

The misconception must be Ryde Tunnel constraining headroom in steam days - while length would make sense due to the tight curves, it seems headroom through the tunnel today is still no worse than several overbridges.

sem34090, jma1009 and paulhitch like this.