If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Island Line under threat

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by Shaggy, Jul 24, 2015.

1. Romsey

Romsey Well-Known Member

Retired SPM
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    The other way to power a 2 car unit would be a generator trailer.
    It's already been done by the Frazer Valley Heritage Railway at Cloverdale near Vancouver. The only trouble is the trolley would need to be very low for the driver to see over it!

Cheers, Neil

Attached Files:

2. gwalkeriow

gwalkeriow Well-Known Member

Retired.
    Are they subject to the regulations that we abide by?

3. pmh_74

pmh_74 Well-Known Member

Exactly. Personally I'd rather be able to climb in and sit in a restored 1938 stock car which maybe had the compressors running for a bit of electric rattle & hum, even if it was going nowhere, than be dragged around in one as hauled stock.
    I have had a ride on the LT Museum's restored 1938 stock unit and very nice it is too, but opportunities to run it on LU are rapidly disappearing as lines get re-signalled. Before too much longer there will only be the Piccadilly and Bakerloo lines left with 'traditional' signalling. I hope they can find a way to overcome this but I suspect the cost of developing bespoke in-cab kit for the heritage stock might mean that, eventually, it goes into retirement. Use it while you can.

sem34090 likes this.
  4. sem34090

sem34090 New Member

PLEASE NOTE: This is a joke. Nice as it would be it is not intended to be taken seriously!:)
    Personally, I think we ought to have a fleet of these to handle services:

[​IMG]

Advantages?

• Already two on the island! Plus a tender version too...
    • Readily available replacements available on the mainland to hire in in the event of a failure.
    • Genuinely more modern design than the existing stock! By over 5 years!
    • No requirement to maintain electric operational infrastructure.
    • Trained staff readily available!
    • Air braked & Vacuum braked.
    • Can be fuelled by several sources, including the possibility of carbon-neutral biofuels.
    • Would increase line usage and tourism.
    • Interchangeability with IOWSR locomotive fleet.
    And for the passengers?

[​IMG]

Advantages?

• Most modern stock on the island to date!
    • Allows guard to walk through train in complete safety - first for the Island!
    • Toilet facilities for passengers - An improvement on the existing stock!
    • Tried and tested design.
    • Readily available spares and plenty on mainland to be hired-in in case of emergency.
    • More modern design than the existing stock, by 10 years!
    • Can be vacuum, air or dual braked.
    • Main Line usable.
    • Capable of higher speed running.
    • Removes potential issues as to who closes the doors.
    • Can have door interlocking.
    What is wrong with that?!

After all, you'd only need to ship a few MK1's over and do a bit of track modification. That's proposed anyway!

The reason I suggest 2MT's and MK1's is that they clearly offer a huge range of improvements over the current (though charming) 1938 stock sets, another being steam heating! MK1's would also be more comfortable... I would prefer to have suggested a new fleet of O2's and LBSCR Bogie stock, or even better, E1's and LBSCR 4-Wheeled stock, but opted for the 2MT+MK1 combination on account of their being more modern in both design and construction than the current stock.

I am, of course, deadly serious! How dare anyone laugh!
    :Wasntme:

Adam-Box, Bean-counter, CH 19 and 2 others like this.
  5. flying scotsman123

flying scotsman123 Part of the furniture

I like the irony there on 2 levels. Firstly that it's all genuinely more modern than the current stock, and secondly it highlights @paulhitch 's hypocrisy in extolling the virtues of excellently practical but inauthentic Ivatt 2mts for every line but dismissing excellently practical and maybe even authentic Mk1s as no good! :)

Adam-Box, Gareth, sem34090 and 2 others like this.
  6. BrightonBaltic

BrightonBaltic Member

Or even give the SVR a batch order for 3MTs and buy a load of Mk2s... ;-)

LTSR and sem34090 like this.
  7. sem34090

sem34090 New Member

Glad you liked it.

The second irony had, of course, completely escaped me...

I suppose the honourable member for Hayling Seaside (Pleasure Transportation) bases his permitting of the 2MTT's on the grounds that it was planned to ship them to the Island rather than electrify, whilst it was not (at that time) proposed to ship MK1's.

In all truth I can see little reason why islanders would object to the employment of the current IOWSR stock - it certainly outperforms any MK1 in terms of comfort. Yes, Mr Hitch, I am well aware that this is all in the realms of the imagination and is a personal, desirable, fantasy.

But without imagination and desire the heritage railway sector would not exist as we know it, and would be all the worse off for it.

flying scotsman123 likes this.
  8. BrightonBaltic

BrightonBaltic Member

I wonder what the IoWSR could do with CPO powers and a £1bn cheque?

9. martin1656

martin1656 Resident of Nat Pres Friend

No I do not currently volunteer
    Look at Ryde Pier, whistle through pursed lips Gov, going to need more than 1bn, i would imagine they would run away, even that sum of money would i suspect not be enough to tempt them to take on a loss making section of line theres a lot of difference between running a tourist railway and a public railway open 7 days a week, 52 weeks of the year with no suitable stock at hand

Bluenosejohn and paulhitch like this.
  10. paulhitch

paulhitch Part of the furniture

It's character old fruit, character.Exactly what the users of Mk. 1s have expunged by their very use. I once referred to a passenger transported back to an Eric Ravilious painting of a carriage interior by travelling in a Brighton 3rd. with its droplight windows and 1923 pattern moquette. She got what it was all about, even if some "preservationists" don't.

As for motive power, you try and dream up a fleet of D3s, R1s and the like to avoid too much pressure being put on 140 year olds with their original wrought iron frames. The Hunslets are functional workhorses but the Ivatts are genuine branchline motive power. The particular pair feature in pictures taken all over Southern England from North Cornwall to Lewes/East Grinstead via Portland and Weymouth Quay.

PH

11. martin1656

What ever is brought across, i am sure will continue the age old island condition of outliving its mainland classmates with the exception of a few items, most stock used on the isle of wight has by the time it was shipped over changed hands at least twice i'm a member of an IOW facebook page, and whilst some of the images are very sad( w31 on ryde depot awaiting the scrapman) it shows change, with the standard stock running in the back ground , the driving car of 034 being hauled by 24 on clearance tests,

sem34090 likes this.
  12. 21B

21B Well-Known Member

You're quite right of course that Mk1s dont have the character of the older vehicles. The wood panelled "1"s are better in this regard than the formica version, and the "K" versions better still. I realise you realise this, but the fact of the matter is that the older vehicles simply dont exist in the numbers needed.

jnc likes this.
  13. martin1656

plus then, and most likely even more so now MK1's don't fit the island loading gauge, but i do wonder, in a flight of fancy, what if the island lines had never been electrified and instead the 02'S were just replaced by the Hastings gauge 33's hauling the steam stock, until mk1 suburban vehicles could be cascaded over to enable the steam stock to be scrapped, a year or two later ok heating would have been a problem as 33's are eth only, so over the summer a set would have had to have been converted to eth for winter services its a very plausible might have been just replacing the steam loco's then the coaching stock in a few years

14. timmydunn

timmydunn Member

Trains and data
  15. Christopher125

Christopher125 Part of the furniture

Has to be Network Southeast. It shouldn't have worked but my god, they looked so modern!

I presume that's how the Epping Ongar Railway operated the preserved Cravens unit a few years back, with great success it seems:

Miff likes this.
  16. johnofwessex

johnofwessex Part of the furniture

Thorn in my managers side
  17. gwalkeriow

Retired.
  18. Christopher125

Christopher125 Part of the furniture

It was proposed for the Class 503s so should be doable - the plan was to excavate or install slab track through one of the single track bores at either end, while slewing through the central double track section. This would have increased clearances and apparently allowed a higher speed limit too.

19. martin1656

The DFT still have to sign off on the proposal, so lets not start counting our chickens just yet
    , but it looks promising, Ryde Esplanade to be redeveloped with better layout is long overdue, as it bringing access from train to hovercraft
    Ryde pier head needs a revamp also, if the platforms need to be rebuilt to modern standards might it be better to close and lift the two existing lines and relay the centre two roads with a cross over between them before the platforms and that will enable new higher platforms' to be built with barriers and automatic gates to protect revenue ?
    I did read somewhere that SWR want to also retain loops at Brading and Sandown to allow greater flexibility of working,

20. gwalkeriow

Retired.
    The depot manager who put that proposal on the table has never said that to me, he did send me the photo of the standard stock unit that had the 503 profile fitted to it and that gave a very generous clearance in the single bore. Interesting.