If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Is there any surviving Cine Film of the GW Broad Gauge in action?

Discussion in 'Photography' started by 1472, Oct 8, 2010.

1. 1472

1472 Well-Known Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    A brief search suggests that the moving picture camera was around from 1891.

The last GWR Broad Gauge working was in May 1892 - is there any known footage showing the broad gauge on moving pictures?

2. 50002

50002 Member

If such footage exists, it must be super-rare and worth a fortune. The earliest known cine films of railways date from the mid-1890s after the broad gauge was over and done with.

3. houghtonga

houghtonga Member

Chartered Engineer
    One of these days if I ever have the time, I would love to make an appointment with the NRM archives and see if they have a copies of the GWR's documentation for the re-gauging of the broad gauge in May 1892. The logistical exercise of Louis Trench's (GWR Civil Engineer) project to regauge the Railways of Devon and Cornwall in a single weekend must be phenominal. 3,400 men were brought in from all parts of the GWR network to help the local gangs to bring a total of 4,200. Sub-divided into gangs of 20 men each looking after a mile of track. Accomodation (goods sheds/station buildings/tents), food and equipment to cook (liberal supplies of oatmeal was provided) and of course transport all apparently planned to the last detail.

Apart from the engineering the traffic arrangements of ensuring no broad gauge vehicles were marooned was impressive - all controlled from a 55 page working instruction with a 30 page supplement for the Bristol, Exeter and Plymouth superintendents.

I am only paraphasing the few sentences left by OS Nock on the subject. I suspect there is a even great story never told here if the paperwork does survive.

G.

4. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

You wonder how many months NR would take to do such a task today.

5. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    And if the loading gauge/kinetic envelope was returned to original spec after the work was finished.