If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Is a 313 still to be preserved?

Discussion in 'Diesel & Electric Traction' started by guyhamilton1983, Mar 9, 2023.

1. guyhamilton1983

guyhamilton1983 New Member

Originally, I understood that 313 201 the first member of the class was to enter preservation at the NRM when the class is withdrawn from the Southern in a couple of months. I have now heard conflicting reports - one that another example is going to be preserved in its place and another that they are all going to be scrapped. Does anybody with their ear close to the grapevine be able to shed some light on the situation. I would hate to see them all scrapped.

2. burmister

burmister Member

Preservation Madness.
    They have been excellent servants and value for taxpayers money but Dissimilar metals ( Steel Underframe, Alloy Body and 40 years are not good bedfellows. You could see the corrosion under the vynal coverings when they were first introduced to the Coastway East and West however many years ago that was.
    The Blue and Grey unit froze passengers legs (well mine at least) if at any speed say Chichester to Barnham from the holes in its sides and underneath and another unit soaked me when stopping at Falmer from the light fitting in heavy rain. I saw the corrosion under the footsteps on the 508s and that was not good and the 313s have many years since in the salt air of the South Coast. They should have gone by the time they were 30 not 40+
    Remember the good service but no more.

3. CEPG

CEPG New Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    313201 was earmarked for the NRM, but yes it recently come to light that this is no longer the case. Not sure how much of the story I'm allowed to tell, but there was logic behind the decision.

It's been said elsewhere so can repeat it here, 313121 is now the preferred preservation candidate. Last dual voltage example and has about 80% original interior. Once it's wrapped up its departmental work it should be donated to NRM. If they take it or not however is another matter.

Perhaps all is not lost for "Bruno" (201), has got a rather dedicated following, as you know. It has certainly become a bit of a lover's walk 'pet' and I've heard mumblings of a separate preservation attempt by the staff there. No idea if that will happen.

Burmister however makes a good point that all of the SN 313s are shot to pieces and very corroded after spending a decade on the Coastway.

4. buzby2

buzby2 Well-Known Member

The cabs could be very draughty in the late 1990's/early 2000's when I was driving them for WAGN/FCC. It was nothing to see newspapers (or parts thereof) stuffed into certain areas. Never did find out who was the famous 'paper stuffer' - Not me!
    I found 313s quite good at accelerating from rest in slippery rail conditions as you could notch them up step by step. Frustratingly, I thought our 317s and 365s hardly moved under first step power but step two power quite often led to the Wheel Slip Detection equipment kicking in.
    Oh the joys of driving trains.