If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

INTRIGUING TURKISH DELIGHTS

Discussion in 'Heritage Railway' started by 23E, Nov 30, 2010.

1. 23E

23E Member

2. std tank

std tank Part of the furniture

Retired
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    45169 and 45170 did not run on the LMS and they were never allocated an LMS number. As I have stated previously in another thread you cannot just convert an 8F from LH to RH drive because of specific frame differences to accomodate the reverser. This difference is highly visible on the frames of 48518. I look forward to seeing the frames of 45170 when it arrives in Britain. In all probability 45170 was dual braked, similar to quite a few of the WD locos that were sent abroard.

3. 5E Alsager

5E Alsager New Member Account Suspended

Bishop of Copmanthorpe
    Post deleted

4. std tank

Retired
    With regard to the two locos never having run on the LMS can I first refer you to the top of page 17 of LMS Locomotive Profiles No 8 The Stanier 2-8-0s. The numbers of the locos of that batch which ran on the LMS are given. Secondly can I refer you to page 74 of the book Stanier 8Fs at Work. With Turkey being a neutral country the locos where dispatched from Britain as a kit of parts, to maintain secrecy. They were then rebuilt at Sivas workshops in Turkey under the supervision of LMS loco engineer R.G. Jarvis. You are not going to build a loco, run it and then totally break it down to component parts are you!! Obviously, as you say, J.W.P. Rowledge's book is the definitive work on the history of the locos. Like yourself, I have not got a copy.

5. std tank

Retired
    I have managed to purchase a copy of J.W.P. Rowledge's book. I was wrong about 552 and 554 not running on the LMS They were allocated to Carlisle Kingmoor for a few months before being put into store at Derby, prior to being shipped to Turkey. It would appear that both locos were first built, steamed and tested at North British Works then stripped down to component parts for shipment to Turkey. This was cancelled and the locos were to go to Egypt instead. So they were rebuilt, but the shipment to Egypt was cancelled and they were loaned to the LMS. Other locos from N.B. contract L937 were treated similarly, but ended up being taken into LMS ownership.
    One interesting thing is that 554/ 45170 received tender No 9433. This was recovered from SS Pentridge Hall after four locos were lost over the side in a storm. It was paired to 8068 (WD N0. 622) which was one of the locos lost. So if 45170 still has the same tender a little bit of LMS history will be returning home.

6. 5E Alsager

5E Alsager New Member Account Suspended

Bishop of Copmanthorpe
    LATEST BREAKING NEWS

Post deleted

7. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Isn't this secrecy about the destination of 45170 just getting a bit silly. OK when negotiations for the purchase were in progress it's understandable, but now it's getting childish, "I know where it's going but I'm not going to tell".....

8. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    Found a Turkish railway modeller's forum and the claim is that one 8F will go to secure store at Barry and the other will go on display at Shildon for a while. then it's off to Ian Storey's works for overhaul.
    As ever, please don't shoot the messenger,

9. ghost

ghost Part of the furniture

It's been reported elsewhere that 45170 will be going to Ian Storey's workshops.

Keith

10. Porcine-Aviator

Porcine-Aviator New Member

I have been watching the local BBC News from Bristol and they said that one loco would be going to Cheltenham, so I'm assuming that they mean the GWR as it's the only line that could take her, and they also said she would be joining her sisters. Odd as she is the only 8F there.

Still as far as I can see that is where she is heading for.:rockon:

11. IainDodd

IainDodd New Member

I have seen a picture of 45170 at Shildon.

It looks remarkably complete considering it and 45166 were described as derelict.

Was any work done on it before it was returned?