If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Hunslet Austerity, great locomotives.

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by thb17, May 27, 2012.

1. thb17

thb17 Member

National Key account manager
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    With their fantastic sound, ease of maintenance and economy are they under-rated by many simply for their abundance?

Whats the most austerities have been known to handle in preservation?

To the general public is there much difference between an austerity 0-6-0 and a GWR pannier tank?

If there is a similar thread I'm sorry and if it's in the wrong forum I also apologise.

2. TonyMay

TonyMay Member

Really useful engines. now where have I heard that before?

3. nickt

nickt Member

4. thb17

thb17 Member

5. TonyMay

TonyMay Member

but the hornby ones are noarrow gauge and have a moulding line running down the tanks.

6. thb17

thb17 Member

This is true.... However it was one of my favourites when I was 12! it's also got a host of other problems including a noisy horrible motor. But it just looked so right with some coal wagons.... I think their pretty locomotives.

7. Avonside1563

Avonside1563 Well-Known Member

Bolton's Sidings, just behind the running shed!
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Whiston (from the Foxfield railway)went on a charter to Allied Steel in Cardiff along with pannier 1501 and shifted something in the order of 1100 tons, not to be outdone the pannier went and did the same!

'Whiston' at ASW Tremorfa | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

8. thb17

thb17 Member

Thats so impressive. That would indicate it could handle 7-8 mark1s easily but I doubt this to be the case on many heritage railways steep gradients but fascinating stuff! Would have loved to have heard that the bark of an austerity is quite something.

9. guard_jamie

guard_jamie Part of the furniture

Signalman
    I think it fair to say that an Austerity in decent nick could pull any length of train regularly seen on our heritage railway's with ease, even on the steep sections of, say, the NYMR or MHR. The issue with them doing so, regularly at least, is speed.

10. thb17

thb17 Member

What is the obsession with mainline locomotives on heritage railways then when the general public generally probably won't care as long as its steam? Are there operational benefits to an austerity? How much is an austerity overall compared to that over a pannier?

11. 3155

3155 New Member

loco owner
    thb17,

Using the calculation quoted, 1100 tons is equal to approx 30 MK1 coaches, approx 2000ft long.

12. thb17

thb17 Member

Yeah I got that but I was trying to see why they aren't seen with 7 or 8 coaches much in preservation.

13. 61624

61624 Part of the furniture

It's quite simple - an Austerity was designed as a shunting engine they can generate the power for short periods but don't have the boiler capacity to susustain the effort. On a flat railway, 7-8 coaches wouldn't be a problem but they weren't designed for longer runs at 25mph and so will probably ride roughly and wear out their bearings more quickly than something designed for longer runs.

14. Avonside1563

Avonside1563 Well-Known Member

Bolton's Sidings, just behind the running shed!
    As has been pointed out the issue with austerity tanks is speed, with a relatively short wheelbase compared to panniers, jinties and other locos of comparable power, they are not the most comfortable of engines above 20mph. The SVR regularly put their panniers out on 6-7 coach sets but i'm sure the crews wouldn't thank you for an austerity on that job. having said that the East Lancs seem to get on happily enough with them having had several in the last couple of years, although I believe that mechanically they suffer from continuous running at 25mph and they need a lot of looking after in that respect. Yes austerity tanks were well engineered but for power and not necessarily speed. You can slog one along at 15mph as much as you want but increase that to 25mph and the wear seems to accelerate dramatically.

15. thb17

thb17 Member

Fascinating thanks for the replies.... How much would a 10 year boiler overhaul of a austerity cost compared to a pannier and are they more economical?

16. PBR Traffic

PBR Traffic New Member

Our loco 71515 copes admirably with out 2.5 mile treck up the welsh hillside, and easily attains and sustains 25mph. However I agree with Nigel, any longer and we would soon wear her out.

Overhauls cost what they cost, regardless of mainline or industrial if they need work then you have to do it. An austrity and a pannier are fairly comparable, when they were first overhauled industrials are often more value as they are usually complete whereas ex Barry locomotives require many more new castings etc (plus undooing all the sea air rot of Barry Island!).

They key is plenty of oil.

Alex

17. thb17

thb17 Member

Great to hear that from the pontypool and blaenavon I think the perfect loco for the line in terms of sound and by the sounds of it performance. The gwili railway will have 2 austerities running by the end of the summer and they have a similar length of line. I love austerities :cool:

18. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    I'm a die-hard industrial man and think the Austerities are a great loco. However, there is a world of difference in pulling heavy trains on relatively level track and doing so on gradients and also doing so at any worhwhile speed. Experience on the NYMR showed that 6 coaches was their limit when it came to running to time and such loads demanded firemen on top of their job. Take them much above 25 mph and they choke themselves so they are on the limit at that in terms of speed. Their short wheelbase also makes for a lively ride.
    They're good for a lot of lines, though.

19. Seagull

Seagull Member

Austerities are a decent enough and reliable loco. Very forgiving and easy to drive and fire. 28 is the max design speed so for a heritage line it's pretty much on it's limit for speed all the time. On the K&ESR they used to manage 6 up Tenterden Bank but these days we limit them to 5 rather than hammer them too hard. Even with 5 on they can be hard work and a bit sluggish which I think is why they're not that popular with crews. On a 3 car train they're much more lively. For a loco primarily designed for shunting and trip working they do ok on heritage lines but don't really compare to panniers and Jintys etc for performance. Limited coal capacity is an issue too. Stopping for coal halfway through the day is a pain.

20. howard

howard Member

Retired Ship's Engineer
    Stopping for coal must take place when you are driving Pete. The rest of us manage 65 miles quite happily on less than a bunker full!