If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Hidden treasures

Discussion in 'Railwayana' started by Neil_Scott, Apr 18, 2011.

1. Neil_Scott

Neil_Scott Part of the furniture

Railway servant
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I was thinking today about the A4 nameplate that appeared years ago that had been living in someone's garden shed. Is there anything in particular that the railwayana world is waiting with anticipation to come up for auction?

I was also thinking about where all the nameplates from express passenger engines went to after steam had finished. Is there a record of where every plate of, say, every A1, A2, A3, A4, Duchess, Princess, Royal Scot, Patriot, Jubilee, Brittania, King, Castle, Saint, Star etc went to? Is there a chance a lot of potential big plates are unaccounted for?

2. Bulleid Pacific

Bulleid Pacific Part of the furniture

A Thingy...
    Well, I tend to 'train-spot' nameplates/numberplates of scrapped locomotives using my reprint of the 1957 Ian Allan ABC combined volume, seeing as I missed out on them the first time by at least 20 years. There's quite a lot of stuff about, but the problem with mentioning things on here is that its read by all and sundry, and with the state of the economy at the moment, theft of the said items could arise if locations were given.

The next problem is verifying whether the articles are genuine, as some are displayed in difficult locations/not catalogued/some fakes amongst possibly genuine plates. However, I take a fairly relaxed attitude when ascertaining authenticity, as I just enjoy the surprise of finding new nameplates/numberplates on display when on my travels, whether they are original or not (although I once saw a smokebox 'plate for 34136, which is what led me to think about authenticity in the first place). The most useful was an MN nameplate on sale at Eastleigh Works 100 (it was genuine) for 35002 Union Castle. It wasn't in the best of condition.

By the way, the late Frank Burridge once had an enviable collection of nameplates, and they were once on display at the 'Big Four' Museum in Bournemouth. This museum has sadly closed down, and I have not heard what has happened to the collection. However, I think the founder of Sheffield Railwayana has written a book with all the locations of nameplates on public display, but this is out of print and even worse, out of date.

3. ssk2400

ssk2400 New Member

electrical engineer
    No I do not currently volunteer
    when i was 10 in the mid 70s my dad had a friend who had worked in a local scrap yard which had broken up steam locos , he had for some reason four smokebox number plates buried in his back garden , he dug then up and gave them to me one was from a 440 2p , one was from a fowler 264 40016 i think , and 2 others i can remmber , i then sold them to a local second hand shop for £4 each a fortune when your 10 !!!

4. ngaugekid

ngaugekid New Member

I know this isn't a nameplate i did know a museum that had a a4 chimley at one point. I do have pictures of it but i don't know what has happened to it since as on my last visit is was not there.

5. Gav106

Gav106 Well-Known Member

i often see name plates in the most random places there are a few westcountry pacifics nameplates in town halls and gwr nameplates are often in town halls also

6. saltydog

saltydog Part of the furniture

Retired
    Some LNER B2 Footballers nameplates ended up at the homes of the club they were named after. For instance 61657 Doncaster Rovers nameplate is on the wall in the players tunnel at the Keepmoat Stadium.

7. shedbasher

shedbasher Member

musician
    The Bedfordshire and Hertfordshire Regiment. 45516 is in the Regiments museum at Luton

8. David-Haggar

David-Haggar Member

Water Meter Reader
    32424 Beachy Head's nameplate was on display in the Towner Art Gallery in Eastbourne a few year's ago. But this has since closed and a new gallery opened-up alongside the Devonshire Park Tennis Courts. I don't think the nameplate is in the new gallery so not sure where that's now gone.

9. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

About 10 years ago I saw a well known black 5 nameplate in a private collection not too far from Bolton as well as a bunch of Agecroft shed souvenirs, and various other numberplates (WDs / Black 5, 8fs and all the other usuals)..
    I havent spoken to the guy in years so Ive no idea where they are now, therefore wouldnt want to suggest who or which one, but I know it's out there somewhere.

I can confirm GT3's plates exist, as my father repeatedly tells me he sold them to some one who visited TW Wards yard when he used to work there back there in 1966

10. std tank

std tank Part of the furniture

Retired
    With the big uns (Coronation pacifics) each City received a nameplate off their respective loco except Brum. They got the loco instead. City of Liverpool's plate is in the Town Hall.

11. 46223

46223 Resident of Nat Pres Friend

One of the nameplates of GW 'Hall' No. 4924 'Eydon Hall' can be seen on Google street view 'Somewhere in northern England'.

12. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    :der: Except that the picture shows the exact lat and long of the location....

13. 46223

Ooops - missed that bit at the bottom, sorry!

14. Bulleid Pacific

Bulleid Pacific Part of the furniture

A Thingy...
    Oh well, the residents will now have a gang of railway enthusiasts with Ian Allan ABCs on the pavement outside their home... Hence why its better to generalise locations.

15. simon

simon Resident of Nat Pres

The chances of it not being a replica - close to zero

16. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    Well I certainly wouldn't even think of putting a nameplate, even replica at around £400, on public show in my garden...

17. 46223

Apparently it is genuine and has been there for over 20 years.

18. std tank

std tank Part of the furniture

Retired
    Too much information!!!

19. 73129

73129 Part of the furniture

Are you going to inform the owner of your mishap?

20. 46223

The picture has been removed and humble pie eaten.