If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Heritage Railway issue 124

Discussion in 'Heritage Railway' started by hughesfowler, Jun 15, 2009.

1. hughesfowler

hughesfowler Member

What does everyone think, It wouled be interesting to hear comments about repro and paper, yet again

2. barclay

barclay Member

I bought the latest copy of HR last week. However, I was so appalled by the tonal qualities of the colour printing that I constructed an effigy of Robin Jones from all my back issues, which I attempted to burn on a pyre of old Beach Boys records and anti-EU leaflets. Unfortunately the paper quality was too poor to combust, so I have instead gouged my eyes out, in order that I may never have to read a copy again.

3. dalrypaul

dalrypaul Guest

I'd really like to be positive about it. I keep hoping I'll be pleasantly surprised, but sadly the repro quality is abysmal again. There really is no excuse, as other magazines can produce a reasonable quality reproduction for a similar cover cost. It's a shame, as otherwise IMHO the magazine is pretty good. I presume that the repro just doesn't matter to the editors, or the consumers, as otherwise it'd surely be sorted out by now, or no one would be buying it?

4. cct man

cct man Part of the furniture

CONSTRUCTION
    Never mind the quality of the paper, what about the quality of the contents?, not impressed from start to finish except for the article on the Mid-Suffolk line.

What do others think?

Regards
    Chris

5. 15B

15B New Member

Coming from you, someone who seems to defend every criticism that is made in the Steam Railway section, whether it is justified or not, your post above is really quite funny.

6. cct man

CONSTRUCTION
    Glad you were amused 158, did you read Heritage Railway by the way?.

Regards
    Chris

7. 23E

23E Member

8. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

If i was to clear out the bad language i'd be clearing out the whole thread.

so here's the deal , next one using bad language gets a warning.

Remember people read what you write.. some people may even quote you...is your five minutes of fame going to be focused on someone's rear end and what to do with it ? :-k

9. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

FYI..

If you dont like the paper of Heritage Rail, then why not go Digital, I have a subscription with Heritage Rail online, I get it downloaded upto a week before it hit's the shelves, can give people copies of it, copy the files for later storage, annotate it and no problem with paper quality... oh and it's quite a bit cheaper.
    No need to moan about paper anymore. Railway Magazine is online also.

10. Beaker

Beaker Well-Known Member

I brought issue 125 ( Tornado on front ) to see what fuss is all about, first real thing when skim reading it was whats is going on with the photo on page 59 ? Looks like a still from a video

11. pennysteam

pennysteam Well-Known Member

analyst computer programmer
    As a casual buyer of steam railway magazine, namely when I see one I may buy one (usualy 1 a month), I have in the past tended towards steam railway magazine mainly on the grounds of availabilty. Recently Heritage railway has become available in my Local super market, so I desided to give it a try again as it had been a year or two since I last did. At first glance the contents was simlair to competision with a mixed bag of photo's depending on what was available on the subject, so nothing new there, but once I started to read it the magazine I found it to be a much better read than the compertision, something you can't see at first glance and you carn't put your finger on it as such, but clearly is. As a result and provided I can find one Heritage railway will be my first choice from now on, keep up the good work.

12. hughesfowler

hughesfowler Member

Well as I posted the original question, I have to say that the reproduction is totally abysmal as usual. I have seen the original copy of the centre pages and trust me it is bang on, both colour and sharpness.Pity the magazine have made such a complete mess of it, ps no its not my pic

I will not buy this magazine until they get it right, as it appears others on here feel the same way, Alan as you say you are a regular contributor to the magazine, surely you can not be happy what they do to your pictures, despite the comforting blow of the renumeration. I await eagerly the next issue of steam railway to see what happens with repro in there, I just have a feeling its a reproduction of digital images that can not be handled by the printers.

So heritage wheres your response to your customers, the silence is deafening as they say!!!!, or is that the editor does not read nat press perhaps ?

13. cct man

CONSTRUCTION
    Oh he reads it all right, however I get the impression that he looks down on the great unwashed like ourselves.

However I could be proved wrong.

Regards
    chris

14. David

David Member

water meter reader
    To be honest I don't think the news articles were that bad in this month's edition, in particular having been on the O1 charter and attended the K&ESR's Gala I did enjoy the article Geoff Silcock wrote in the magazine. But I must agree with the other comments that the photo reproduction is not great and hasn't been for a seriously long time. This was the main reason why I chose SR mag. to send my photos up for publishing when I first went over to digital photography. It's also good that Danny Hopkins comes on here and posts his comments about what enthusiasts think about his magazine and while he receives a lot of stick at times he has the bottle to front up to it. I think Robin Jones would do himself and the magazine a lot more credit if he did respond to the comments about HR magazine on here, both positive and negative, and accepted the feedback he is getting from his customers.