If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Help on where to find Historical railway statistical data

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by domeyhead, May 12, 2013.

1. domeyhead

domeyhead Member

I want to obtain and collate annual historical railway usage statistics from the "big railway" for the 20th century and would appreciate some advice from fellow posters. Specifically I want to collect the following:-
    1) ticket sales and/or passenger numbers for every station (arrivals & departures)
    2) goods traffic in/out (by ton or by wagon)
    3) other revenue earning activity - eg parcels, season tickets, platform tickets, car parking
    4) The above for any station and any year from 1910 through to privatisation

I believe these data might be available in the annual Railway Returns produced by the Railway CLearing House for the Board of Trade but I imagine the full data for every station in the UK would result in a truly massive document so I suspect there may have been a series of regional or subdivisional documents instead.
    If any poster has seen these data or can confirm where I can obtain them I will be very grateful!
    regards
    Domeyhead

2. kesbobby

kesbobby Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I recommend you start with the National Archives. http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/

If you look under RAIL, you will find a wealth of information by Company, e.g. RAIL254 gives you all the available GWR records. What you will find and the extent of detail is dependent on what was handed over. Good luck!

3. domeyhead

domeyhead Member

Thanks Kesbobby. What a resource! I took a quick look down one of the trees and at the end it said "3750 boxes". I think that is telling me I must be a little more specific!
    I am hopeful that someone will have already collated usage data somewhere as it is such a commonly used statistic.
    I know that there are publications of Railway Returns - but I am guessing they are summaries rather than the returns from individual stations but grateful for all advice.