If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Help Needed identifying this Train plaque?

Discussion in 'Railwayana' started by matthew123, Mar 22, 2013.

1. matthew123

matthew123 New Member

Found this old Plaque by the side of a river , but i know 2 sets of railway use to be near there? Any help identifiying it would be aprretiated it's bugged me for neally a year now!

Attached Files:

2. std tank

std tank Part of the furniture

Retired
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    This is a repair plate off a Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway wagon. It gives the name of the company that did the repair, the L&Y wagon number and the date the work was carried out. It could be off a five plank open wagon, because I have located a photo of five plank open wagon L&Y No 24478 in one of my books (built 1894-95).

3. matthew123

matthew123 New Member

Thankyou! any way of finding out excatly what it's from? I found it in the southwales area, miles away from lancashire and yorkshire Weird and the date could either be 1831 or 1881, if you could find out any more info it would be appretiated.

4. John Webb

John Webb Member

Retired
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    The 'LANKY' (Lancashire and Yorkshire) Railway wasn't formed until 1847 when the Manchester and Leeds Railway changed it's name and took over the Wakefield, Pontefract and Goole Railway at the same time. So I would expect the plate to be 1881.