If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Help identifying a paraffin lamp

Discussion in 'Railwayana' started by chrishallam, May 14, 2013.

1. chrishallam

chrishallam Well-Known Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Evening all,

I was given this lamp a while back by a friend who did not know where it was from so was wondering if anyone could shed more light on it. (Pardon the pun)

It has a large red aspect and two smaller white ones on each side (Though larger than a standard tail lamp). On the back is a lamp bracket with a bolt in it.

With the red aspect I assume it's some sort of tail lamp but beyond that I'm stumped!

Cheers for the help in advance!

Chris

Attached Files:

2. kesbobby

kesbobby Member

Chris,

I don't believe this is a railway lamp. There are also earlier versions with GR markings. The GR/ER and crown makes them Government Issue and I believe they were used by the then General Post Office.

3. chrishallam

chrishallam Well-Known Member

Thanks for the reply and the information

I had noticed the earlier ones when googling the company name, but not found any further details.

I hadn't appreciated the crown and monarch meant it was government issued. I'll ask one our post office experts at the NVR!