If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Hayling Seaside Railway's Ex LBSCR Six-wheel Third body, Free to restore.

Discussion in 'Heritage Rolling Stock' started by 4073, Nov 1, 2010.

1. 4073

4073 New Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    The LBSCR Six-wheel Third body owned by the Hayling Seaside Railway, is being offered for free to anyone/group/society etc who can restore it back into working order on a preserved railway. Originally earmarked to be cut down and restored as a 2' gauge coach, it has been realised that it may not be suitable for the Hayling Seaside Railway. And with other projects to build new carriages, trackwork, building of a steam loco etc, taking volunteers time for the next few years. Hence it being offered free to anyone who can give it a better future as a restore carriage.

The coach is listed in the Carriage Survey on the Vintage Carriages Trust website. It's entry can be found here at www.cs.vintagecarriagestrust.org/se/CarriageInfo.asp?Ref=4904. This is the only carriage body in the group of LBSCR carriage body’s owned by the Hayling Seaside Railway, that is stored on the Island. And as can been seen in the photo in the link above, it has been and still is, stored undercover.

Anyone who is interested in this carriage body can contact the owner of the Hayling Seaside Railway 'Bob Haddock', using the contact number on the railways website at www.haylingseasiderailway.com/contact.html

2. spindizzy

spindizzy Member

Do the Bluebell know about this? I would guess its just their sort of thing.

3. TonyMay

TonyMay Member

is that underframe also available?

4. 4073

4073 New Member

Only through this thread, this is the only place so far that is letting the rest of the heritage railway community know that this carriage is available for free to anyone who can restore it.

No. The underframe of SR1461 is not owned by the Hayling Seaside Railway. The person who made the listing in the Carriage Survey on the Vintage Carriages Trust website has got confused with the 2' gauge bogie underframe [thread=19439](ex Knebworth Park and Wintergreen Railway)[/thread], which was stored alongside SR1461. Converting the standard gauge SR1461 to 2' gauge would also be quite impossible for a light railway!

5. cav1975

cav1975 Member

Did anything happen to this carriage body after it was offered "for free"?

6. 4073

4073 New Member

Hi cav1975

Nothing came out of this thread and I believe the coach body is still safe in its under cover storage. With current events on the railway in trying to find a site for a new shed, it is unlikely for anything to happen to the coach. And if anyone wants to take on the restoration, the contact link above still works if they want to speak to Bob Haddock.