If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Hayling Island Railway

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by daveannjon, Jan 7, 2013.

1. daveannjon

daveannjon Well-Known Member

I was looking at a 1966 issue of Railway Modeller and it had a list of places to visit during the summer. It was obviously quite a short list of preservation schemes given the year but one I hadn't heard of was at Hayling Island, has anyone got any information about it?

Thanks

Dave

2. marshall5

marshall5 Well-Known Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    It was one of several schemes around the same time that didn't get off the ground. IIRC one of the,now preserved,Terriers was earmarked for it. Not sure if it was the same one that was outside The Hayling Billy pub for a while.Ray.

3. paulhitch

paulhitch Guest

The one outside the pub is now IOWSR No. 8 "Freshwater"

Paul H.

4. daveannjon

daveannjon Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info, the other standrad gauge 'lines not open yet' in the list were: Dart Valley, Worth Valley, M&GN Sheringham, and Rother Valley Tenterden.

Dave

5. Waldgrun

Waldgrun New Member

It is possible that the scheme referred to in that edition of the the Railway Modeller from 1966, and most likely to be the August edition. Was the one that planned to electrify the Line and use Trams. The local forum for Hayling Island often has bits about the line.
    Billy Line after 1963 - Hayling Forum

6. sweetktg

sweetktg Member

Senior IT Engineer
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
  7. W14

W14 Member

Writer and former business/railway manager
    Indeed, that was the scheme that was around at that time. An ex-Blackpool tram, intended for the scheme, sat in the yard at Havant for some time.

8. Brider

Brider Member

Programmer
    That tram was the only surviving Blackpool "Marton VAMBAC" and is now beautifully restored at the East Anglia Transport Museum in Carlton Colville. It was considered that the use of trams would remove the need to strengthen the rather tired railway bridge to the island.