If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Hawkhurst Signal Box - a new home?

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by Foxhunter, Jun 29, 2012.

1. Foxhunter

Foxhunter Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I just had a flyer through the post appealing for funds to re-locate Hawkhurst Signal Box to Robertsbridge on the rapidly expanding Rother Valley Railway. As one who grew up in a neighbouring village to Hawkhurst I just remember the 'box being slowly swallowed by an industrial estate and never imagined it would survive this long. Not only has it survived, but thanks to the owners of the site it is in pretty good nick! The RVR is raising a fund to move the 'box to the station throat at Robertsbridge and are seeking about £17,000 to achieve this and the ground works required for it. It is a cute little 'box with a good Colonel Stephens pedigree and deserves to be saved - I sent off a cheque today!

More here

Foxy

2. Austerity

Austerity Member

Loco Fitter
    Good on you Foxhunter-me too!

3. Streetert

Streetert New Member

Shipbroker/Corporate Planning Manager
    Indeed the signal box project remains ongoing.
    Hopefully we can be putting status updates on this in 2013, but for now the link is.

TEDS

4. nine elms fan

nine elms fan Part of the furniture

Retired
    No I do not currently volunteer
    I was told by the owners of the site when the timber company was there that the signal box was not the original but a replica.
    I was a BT engineer at the time repairing their phone line when i asked the owner who said it was them who erected and maintained it.
    Note sure how true this is....

5. Andre

Andre New Member

K&ESR Commercial Manager
    It is the original, although various bits have of course been replaced since closure.

6. myles

myles New Member

I went past the former Hawkhurst station site today for the first time in many years. While, I have heard that the old signal box has been demolished by the site owner recently before it could be moved to Robertsbridge, I didn't realise that a large industrial building has been built over part of the old platform area and that the goods shed has been demolished. The only remains left are now the steps from the road which led upto the platform and the old engine shed.

7. kestreleyes

kestreleyes Well-Known Member

signal engineer
    technically isnt it taken apart for removal to elsewhere not demolished as such?

8. myles

myles New Member

I read somewhere that the RVR were planning to move the structure as a whole and not dismantle it for movement. In the same article it was said that the RVR were now looking at the pieces to see if it was worth saving now - so this suggests more demoliton than careful dismantling. I was just more surprised that the fine old goods shed had also gone I wonder when it went?

9. Breva

Breva Well-Known Member

I think a better preservation target for Robertsbridge KESR would be Robertsbridge box. It's right next door, and has a certain charm, and is complete. Hawkhurst is tiny and not much more than a shed with some steps. The cost of moving it, if my memory serves me right, is also quite steep. Go for Robertsbridge !

10. Fireline

Fireline Well-Known Member

There's the small matter of Notwork Fail still wanting it for running trains.....

11. nine elms fan

Retired
    I"m inclined to agree with you on that one, at least it"s still erected and does look like a signal box.
    The hawkhurst box was a charming little thing though always reminded me of a potting shed.

12. Breva

Breva Well-Known Member

I realise that of course. However, Signal boxes are being taken out of service in scores, and Robertsbridge box will have its turn in the not too distant future. I suspect someone can even tell us the day. You just need a little patience.
    I think the ' potting shed' description is very apt by the way. Robertsbridge box is a little jewel.

13. royce6229

royce6229 Well-Known Member

Must have been 4 or 5 years ago when the goods shed was demolished to make way for the huge new tin sheds that have gone up.

14. nine elms fan

Retired
    I heard from somebody who works close to where the old Station and Signal box were that the owners of the land gave several deadlines for the Hawkhurst
    signal box to be removed but heard nothing, So they dismantled it themselves.

15. martin butler

martin butler Part of the furniture

Is it planned to have Robertsbridge (rvr) signaled? i thought that the Hawkhurst box is just for show, and not going to used as a signal box, If there is a plan to fully signal the station , then might the Hawkhurst box be suitable for a basic groundframe to control the signals and points with in the station limits , or will a larger box be sort after?

16. Fireline

Fireline Well-Known Member

In which case, the owners of the land need to look again at the planning permission they got for the site. That made it clear that the condition for the new sheds being built was that the signal box HAD to be retained PERMANENTLY. The RVR were still negotiating with both the owners and the council to have this caveat removed when the box suddenly lost quite a lot of height....

17. nine elms fan

Retired
    Well it"s not been retained has it. If it comes under Kent Council nothing will happen if someone can apply to build a barn with Kent Council and get it, then change their mind and build a 5 bedroom detatched house and get away with it what chance has a signal box got.

18. Shaggy

Shaggy Part of the furniture

I wouldn't hold your breath! The last thing I heard was that the Hastings Line would not be re-signalled until at least 2024.