If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

GWSR - What is that screeching sound? Fingernails down a blackboard?

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by nigelss, Aug 9, 2011.

1. nigelss

nigelss Member

I'm always on the lookout for Youtube videos showing a driver's eye view of the Laverton extension. I have come across a couple, one of which is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6j1iCDPs8I and what I would like to know is what causes that god-awful intermittent screeching noise, particularly on the stretch from Toddington to Stanway viaduct? Plenty of good examples from 36secs onwards. If it is metal grinding on metal surely it is bad for the track and for the rolling stock used?

I was also going to ask why there appears to be a 10mph speed limit from Toddington to Stanway viaduct but maybe that too is something to do with the screeching problem.

Reminds me too much of fingernails raking down a blackboard... Aargh!!!

Best wishes,
    Nigel

P.S. Truly sorry to hear of the recent metal theft. Hats off to the volunteers for their determination to keep the trains running no matter what.

2. Kinghambranch

Kinghambranch Well-Known Member

Retired
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    It seems to be some kind of vibration or rattling to me rather than track noise (although there's some of that too), perhaps the driver's teeth rattling? Great cab view by the way, especially as I haven't had a chance to make that journey yet! Thanks for the link.

3. Sidmouth

Sidmouth Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Moderator

Yes I am an active volunteer
    It seems like flange noise . Whilst the track is ballasted the rails on the RHS look slightly odd . I'm wondering if the line has been fully tamped and aligned ?

4. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    Definitely flange squeal. Quite a common noise from the footplate although it is more usually found on sharper curves.

5. nigelss

nigelss Member

6. EGBDF

EGBDF New Member

It's so frustrating isn't it!
    Originally I would have thought it to be braking noises, but obviously not with the timings of the 'squeaks.'

7. Sidmouth

Sidmouth Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Moderator

the track profile and cant should in theory help guide the loco wheels so that flanges don't hit the track and create the noise you hear plus also all the attendant wear on the flanges on the tyres themselves

8. D6969

D6969 New Member

Pway
    As some background here.

The section to the viaduct is speed limited to 10mph as it is deemed to be within station limits.

The section of track from the brand new E15 turnout north of Toddington to the viaduct is recycled track laid to the best running edge, it is laid on SHC sleepers which gauge at 1432mm (back in the days when a reduced gauge was thought to stop high speed hunting of bogies). At the viaduct the line is laid on hardwood timbers and gauged to 1435mm and brand new rail, no squealing there.

The rest of the extension from the viaduct is CWR laid on majority of SHC sleepers with brand new rail.

On other areas of the GWR, also laid on SHC sleepers, slow speed squeals can also be heard i.e. Gotherington loop curve.

9. bristolian

bristolian Member

No I do not currently volunteer
    A clip of mine at the NVR demonstrates this actually very common noise quite well too...
    http://www.youtube.com/we1330#p/u/14/EcDzG23-k20

Very Best Wishes,
    Bob.

10. nigelss

nigelss Member

Thanks for the information, but does it (flange squeal) actually cause damage/excessive wear to the wheels or track?