If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

GWSR Laverton Extension

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by nigelss, Dec 31, 2010.

1. nigelss

nigelss Member

I have been following progress on the Laverton extension with great interest (GWSR member and shareholder) and regularly look at Nigel Black's gallery at http://nigel-black.fotopic.net/c1799180.html. It looks to me like the PW team have forged ahead over the new bridge and are racing on to Broadway! I understand that a run-round loop is to be constructed at Laverton and the aim is to get the extension ready for the 2011 season. My question is how far past Laverton bridge is the PW team going to go for the time being, and will the line end with a buffer stop or just a stop-board so the PW team can carry on forging ahead?

I do recall from the sponsored walk last August that the trackbed was much overgrown not far beyond Laverton bridge so they must stop soon!

Season's greetings to all,
    Nigel

2. Kinghambranch

Kinghambranch Well-Known Member

Retired
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    A great site and a good morale booster to see track being laid back to Broadway at last! The Laverton loop line is still to be put in but turnouts are either in place or being prepared. If previous work is anything to go by the GWSR trackgang will probably use a stopboard at the northern end of the limit of line to allow them to continue extending to Broadway. There is some work to be done on at least 2 bridges I believe and of course trackbed clearance and grading to Broadway (it amazes me how quickly those pesky little ash trees seem to sprout up through the old ballast!). The big problem of course is money due to the Gotherington slip problem and the heavy snow which messed up the Santa specials. However, I believe the GWSR already has enough concrete sleepers to get to Broadway (someone in authority from GWSR could confirm this). As one travels along the line to Broadway station (which is being rebuilt) there is a 5 mile milepost at the southern end of the site - 5 miles to Honeybourne and the National Network. My fervent prayer is that they won't stop at Broadway! I do know that the GWSR owns the trackbed north of Broadway to the 1st overbridge. However, the local authority which looks after the trackbed from there to Honeybourne is, I understand, keen to see rail reinstatement. Here's to a better year for the GWSR.

3. D6969

D6969 New Member

Pway
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Regarding the run round loop we are still awaiting the crossings so two temporary plain track connections have been made to enable us to carry laying track north.

There are a few reasons why we are putting down as much track as possible, the main one is to store all the pway wagons that are currently on what will be the new running line to Laverton, this will require around another 17 panels of track which is at site.

The wagons were previously stored at CRC but currently cannot return, for some reason! Anyway it's a lot more convinent to have them at the place of work than stored 13 miles away.

Regarding the trackbed some clearance has been done, a little more to do to allow the completion of the current project.

As for sleepers I do believe we have enough on site on the railway to reach Broadway, it is the rail we do not have. And as pointed out there are a number of bridges that require considerable expediture.

4. nigelss

nigelss Member

Many thanks for the information. I'll just have to keep on buying shares to help you get to Broadway!

5. free2grice

free2grice Part of the furniture Friend

Retired Rolls-Royce engineer
    No I do not currently volunteer
    I travelled on a service train yesterday over the re-opened Stanway viaduct behind 47.376 top 'n tailed with the 8F.
    The leading loco stopped approx 350m to the north of the magnificent 15 arch viaduct. <BJ>