If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

GWR no.6695

Discussion in 'Loco information' started by Nigel Clark, Sep 17, 2008.

1. Nigel Clark

Nigel Clark Member Loco Owner

Network Rail Signalman
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    As of yesterday 6695 once again rests on her own wheels. Re-wheeling of 6695 took place early this week at Williton following axlebox refurbishment by West Somerset Restoration. Today the inside motion has been reassembled, and general reassembly will continue over the next few days. We still have the annual steam test for the boiler to get through (booked for tomorrow) and reassembly to complete before running-in can commence. As usual the clock is ticking and the WSR Gala gets ever closer, my hair is getting greyer by the day!

2. Nigel Clark

Network Rail Signalman
    6695 passed the annual steam test yesterday, moving out into the open air for the first time since November 2007. Still a few days of reassembly and minor fault rectification to go but nearly there!

Latest pictures are on the Swanage Railway website
    http://www.swanagerailway.co.uk

3. Nigel Clark

Network Rail Signalman
    On the evening of Friday 26th Sept 6695 ventured out of Williton Yard light engine and headed for Blue Anchor & then back to Williton. The axleboxes remained cool, the test run being a success. A full checkover and final fitting of a few parts is taking place this weekend before running-in resumes. So long as the 'boxes stay cool see you at the WSR Autumn Gala!

A big thanks go to the lads at West Somerset Restoration (Williton) for all the hours they have been putting in over the past few weeks to get '95 finished for the Gala, and to Gareth Winter for ensuring it happens.

4. Nigel Clark

Network Rail Signalman
    This evening 6695 hauled an empty 6 coach set from Minehead to Williton and return, all appears ok.

5. Nigel Clark

Network Rail Signalman
    As I'm sure you are all aware 6695 made a successful appearance at the WSR Autumn Steam Gala. The 'boxes stood up to the test and all appears well. She did, however, manage to lose the felt pads from the big-end brasses during running-in but there was insufficient time before the Gala to replace them. Various experiments were made with plug trimmings during the Thursday which enabled her to work throughout each day with only the odd check being made. 6695 returned to Williton on Sunday eveing coupled to 34046, new felt pads and retaining cages are in the process of being fitted by West Somerset Restoration and it is hoped she will return to WSR traffic at the end of this week. It is now likely that 6695 will remain at WSR until 9th November and may work some of the Footplate Experience turns as well as appearing at the Somerset in Autumn event at the end of October.

On behalf of myself, Ann, and Ollie, I would like to thank everyone at WSR for their help and also for the very friendly welcome we have received. The footplate crews and shed staff over the Gala were just great and there are too many names to mention but I would like to thank Traction Inspector Dave Bosley for all his help and advice, and Keith Speller & the Special Events Committee for inviting 6695 to their Gala, we had a truly wonderful 4 days. And not forgetting the staff of West Somerset Restoration at Williton who undertook the axlebox overhaul, and who have looked after us during our regular visits to Williton over the past months.

6. Nigel Clark

Network Rail Signalman
    I can now confirm that agreement has been reached with the West Somerset Railway for 6695 to remain on hire there until the end of March 2009. It is planned that 6695 will appear at the Winter Steam Festival and also the 2009 Spring Steam Gala, in the meantime the engine will be spare/cover for winter loco maintenance.

As planned 6695 has now been successfully weighed at Williton, along with 6024 and 34046, by two of Ian Riley's lads. 6695 will be having some minor maintenance work completed before returning to Minehead Shed and re entry to traffic.

6695 will return to Swanage at the beginning of April 2009 for the start of daily running.

7. Nigel Clark

Network Rail Signalman
    After the WSR Spring Gala 6695 will be heading for Buckfastleigh to take part in the South Devon Railway 40th Anniversary Gala, dates of operation currently as per the new SDR website www.southdevonrailway.co.uk . This promises to be an outstanding event and we are looking forward to taking part.
    The precise length of stay has not been finalised but the engine will move home to Swanage Railway towards the end of April.

8. Nigel Clark

Network Rail Signalman
    6695 was loaded at Bishops Lydeard on Sunday evening after arriving at 15.30 with her last WSR train this visit (yes we hope to be back!). She was delivered safe and sound to Buckfastleigh the following day by John Antell and is now being prepared (including changing a cracked driving spring) for SDR service. Apart from appearances at the 40th Anniversary Gala, it is anticipated that 6695 will run for another couple of days later in the month so if you are unable to make the Gala keep your eye on the SDR loco roster.

Arrangements are currently in hand to return 6695 to Swanage at the end of April.

9. Ann Clark

Ann Clark Member

You could have added how well she did going up the WSR banks with 8 on.
    As Nigel has forgotten to put this in many thanks to the WSR staff and volunteers who have made our prolonged stay so enjoyable that it was with some sadness that we have left. We do intend to return!!

10. Nigel Clark

Network Rail Signalman
    Following replacement of the RH driving spring and repair of the LH injector steam feed pipe by SDR staff, 6695 made her inaugural runs on Friday 3rd April plus some shunting of stock at Buckfastleigh. It appears this was the first time a Red RA engine (under its own power) had traversed the whole line between Buckfastleigh and Totnes, so a little bit of history has been made. Engine in traffic tomorrow and then the 4 days of the Easter weekend, with another 3 days later in the month.

Thanks to all at SDR for making me feel so welcome last week, will be back Friday & Sat, oh that coincides with the Beer Festival does it? How convenient!!! \:D/

11. Nigel Clark

Network Rail Signalman
    Having won more admiring fans during the SDR 40th Anniversary Gala, 6695 has now returned home to Swanage for the Summer. She arrived at Norden yesterday (Tuesday) afternoon courtesy of John Antell and was brought to Swanage in the early evening. It is planned to undertake a washout and general exam this week with the possibility of being in traffic this coming Sunday (not definite) or maybe next week. Keep an eye on the SR website Loco Roster.

12. Nigel Clark

Network Rail Signalman
    I can confirm that 6695 re-entered traffic at Swanage on Tuesday 5th May and should, hopefully, remain in service for much of this month (excepting the diesel gala this weekend!) sharing the workload with 80078. \:D/